Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me think this one out

We are talking about my 1980 yammy xs650

I was going to the Suzuki dealer to price some components for the starter drive job I'm doing on my gs1100e. BTW aside rom having a hard time pulling the rotor off the crankshaft, the starter drive repair is a baby job. And I was wondering what sort o secret monster was lurking in the mechanism.

ANYHOOO--- As i was driving along the bike just dropped dead. no lights -no starter no little green light that always goes on when the bike is not running?? This happened a couple of months back and it was a fuse. Naturally i gave the electrical wiring a going over and made some new cables the first time it happened.
    Well this time i figure it will be a simple thing. i grabbed some tools my simpson 260. tape and fuses and set out to retrieve the bike. Fuses good-maybe a battery died--nope 13+ volts there. Wiggle lost of wires with the key on--nothing.
    OH YES i forgot to add that where this yammy is concerned i belong to the club of morons that doesn't have a repair manual for it.

LOTS OF SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Broken cable goin from your battery to ignition switch - check with multimeter.
    Happened to me on my Suzuki without any reason - just old age.
    Adam M.

Comment

Originally posted by mmedyna9629
      Adam M.
      that is most likely. Now i will have to see if i can find the correct cable. Ill just test and find the one going to the ignition switch that has 12 volts.

Comment

I've had a bad fuse holder do that to me. I just recrimped the things that grab onto the flat fuse. Does your fuse look burned up or melted?

Steve

Comment

If you can readily see the wires at the fuse box, look for the colour coding on the wire leading to the ignition the ignition fuse. Check for the same coding behind the headlight, then use your multimeter.

Recommend you check BOTH battery cable connections, ground connector, and the connection from the battery at the fuse box.

You may be able to check that there is power at the other fuses, but not necessarily, as they may get power from the ignition switch.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
            I've had a bad fuse holder do that to me. I just recrimped the things that grab onto the flat fuse. Does your fuse look burned up or melted?

Steve
            Juice is going into and out of the main fuse-- i will double check that area Steve

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
              Originally posted by srivett

Steve
              Juice is going into and out of the main fuse-- i will double check that area Steve
              Scotty, if you have juice in and out of all fuses, then current is available at the switch and from there back to the fuse-box, so you almost certainly should be looking for a bad or loose connector behind your headlight.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

ok Rocky thinks i lost a ground some where

Comment

Scotty, how big was the pothole you hit when this happened??? :twisted:

Comment

Pot hole??? sounds more like a Sinkhole :twisted:

Comment

I think youre looking for the right thing Scotty, but without a wiring diagram, it makes it a by guess and by golly proposition.

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
                      Originally posted by mmedyna9629
                      Adam M.
                      that is most likely. Now i will have to see if i can find the correct cable. Ill just test and find the one going to the ignition switch that has 12 volts.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I agree Earl. I just remembered that i found a diagram on some xs650 website in Holland. i will try to find the diagram again if i dont have it already saved.

Comment

Try this sit for XS-650 electrical diagrams and info. There is a Yamaha 650 club web site somewhere that has a lot more information but I have lost the link.

Comment

Try again. Here's the link.
                            http://www.650motorcycles.com/schematics.html

Comment

Thats a good link, dom check it out,
                              Wrench.

Comment

Working...
                              X