Petcock bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock bolts

Ok I have a 77 gs 750. Every year I have to take the petcock off of the tank and reseal the bolts that hold it on! Whats the deal how does the factory seal the bolts that go into the tank and therefore into the gas. Im sure there not the original bolts that are there now but damn what a retarded design !!!!!! I dont come up with anything special on the M/F either like o rings and such.. anyone have any ideas or suggestions im tired of this.

are you saying that gas leaks from the petcock bolts???

Comment

YUP!!!! as from what i can see theres nothing that seals the bolts threads or heads from the gas inside the tank.. without sealer the gas just leaks right past.

Comment

I can only think that it is a bad petcock seal itself that is bad instaed of teh bolts, but the only thing I can think of to use to 'seal' tehm in some permatex H-3 or the cheaper version, Indianhead gasket sealant. smear this around teh threds and allow to dry overnight (on an empty tank.). :twisted:

Comment

permatex makes some stuff that is good for those things. I wonder if the marine stuff ths earl recomended for fixing my crankcase oil leak will work there also.

Comment

Scotty, I have never used the Life Seal for a gas tank fitting. Its a compound of silicone and polyurethane. I think it would work better than most things you could use, but I cant guarantee it. I just use a gasket on my petcock and have had no leak problems....yet :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
            permatex makes some stuff that is good for those things. I wonder if the marine stuff ths earl recomended for fixing my crankcase oil leak will work there also.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              Scotty, I have never used the Life Seal for a gas tank fitting. Its a compound of silicone and polyurethane. I think it would work better than most things you could use, but I cant guarantee it. I just use a gasket on my petcock and have had no leak problems....yet :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
              I have permatex black on my petcock

Comment

Have you replaced the bolts. Threads may be worn enough to allow a leak.
                Or the threads in the tank may be wore. Don't know if threads that shallow be helicoiled or not?
                But that may be what's allowing the fuel to get in that otherwise sealed off area, inside the perimeter of the o-ring.

Comment

The best thing iv found to seal anything gas related is locktite PST. The actual question was are--- do the bolts that hold the petcock on the tank have any provisions for sealing like o rings or the such. the only sealing ring i see is the attached back 2 D shaped ring that goes between the tank and the p/c . Yes the bolts have ben replaced wich is the reason i need this info. right now the bolts are socket head allen bolts I know there not stock. Hopefully yall will stick with me as to solve this problem.

Comment

Try wrapping the threads with telflon tape like plumbers use. Silicon type(RTV) products will break down when exposed to gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                      Try wrapping the threads with telflon tape like plumbers use. Silicon type(RTV) products will break down when exposed to gasoline.
                      I have found that the teflon paste works much better for plumbing than the teflon tape (originally discovered this from a plumbing website).....I haven't tried teflon products on fuel fittings, though.

BTW, re: Scotty's post:
                      I have permatex black on my petcock
                      Scotty, we really don't want to know about your perverse usage of cosmetics.

Comment

ROTFLMAO

Comment

The head of the bolts should have fiber washers on them to seal. Mine do and it has never leaked a drop.

Comment

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! 8O :mrgreen: that last post is the one that i was looking for. now I have to find the right bolts and these fiber washers.. or make them thanks!!!! P.S. gas eats teflon tape--- allready tried it!!! turns it into mush but thanks anyway

Comment

My '79 GS1000 used crush washers on the bolts,I believe they were made of copper. Never had a problem. I've got a Pingel now,much better fuel valve.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X