Starter idler components(GS1100G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter idler components(GS1100G)

The generator cover is off the GS to sort out a leaking gasket. I noticed there was only one thrust washer on the idler shaft, in front of the gear. The microfiche on the alpha sports site shows 2 washers, one in front and one behind the gear, the same as on the smaller GS's . As I've found discrepancies on that site before, I'm wondering if there should be one or two???
    Other thing I'm wondering about, I need to rebuild the cam tensioner and tacho drive to cure leaks in them. Ordering these off Suzuki will take ages, does anyone have the sizes of these o rings and oil seals to hand so I can get them from an engineering supplier?
    Thanks in advance.

Anyone??
    It'd be great to get an answer on the washer thing, I need to put it back together.

Comment

Surely you've seen this...?

The sizes I give for the cam chain tensioner o-rings are a little approximate, but the dimensions of the seal for the cam chain tensioner are exact. You should be able to find what you need for that pretty easily.

For the tach cable, you'd likely need to take the fitting with you -- the seal is an odd shape, and the sealing band is a special flattened shape. They'd be tough to find, but I'm sure someone in the world makes them. Dunno if they'd be easier or cheaper to obtain that way than from Suzuki.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

And yes, there should be two of those thin washers -- they're there to protect the aluminum cases from the spinning steel gear.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for that Bwringer. Just the info I need. As for the washer, it's a bit of a mystery how that got to be missing. The generator cover doesn't look to have ever been removed before. I think I better remove the oil pan while I'm at it and have a look in there.....

Comment

They sometimes end up stuck to the magnets on the rotor, too.

Or the two washers get stuck together -- they're pretty thin.

If you left one out for a couple of weeks, I don't think it would be the end of the world.
            Eat more venison.

Comment

Found it in the sump. Plenty of old silicone sealant stuck to the pick up strainer too, so just as well I had a look in there.

Comment

Working...
              X