1983 GS550es won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550es won't idle

I cleaned the carbs but still having problems with idle. When the bike is leaned to the right it starts stalling. It's like no fuel is getting to the bike. Plus there's a metal thing on the gas tank, should there be a hose going to it. As you can tell I don't know much about repairs or the parts on the bike , but I need to learn.

A metal thing?

is this the same metal thing that the gas hose attached to?
    or is it something else?

If it is the petcock then there is a ga line and a vacuum line
    both need to be connected to there proper fitting on the carbs.

without vacumm the petcock wont open
    of course settign to prime would get around this so get a big absorbent towel and palce it under a float bowl

then remove the bowl drain and set the petcock to prime
    fule should flo to the carb bowl and out the drain

Comment

1983 gs550es

It's not the petcock side but on the opposite side of the tank, guess you can tell I'm not motorcycle savvy, It's my first bike and a fixer upper, thank you for the information, i will check this as well. there is only 1 hose to the petcock, so that's the first thing i will start with. Much appreciation!!

Comment

that is some sort of drain hose
        should no affect fuel flow at all.

so do the carb bowls have gas or no?
        if they do and you have good spark and compression then the carbs or less likely the carb boots are at fault

you do have the exhaust and airbox connected yes?

Comment

Originally posted by mimi859 View Post
          It's not the petcock side but on the opposite side of the tank, guess you can tell I'm not motorcycle savvy, It's my first bike and a fixer upper, thank you for the information, i will check this as well. there is only 1 hose to the petcock, so that's the first thing i will start with. Much appreciation!!
          Should be two lines as mentioned! One for the fuel and the smaller of the two, running to the #2 carb vacuum port.
          Have A look:

Comment

1983 gs550es

I did not notice much gas in the carbs come to think of it. I cleaned them even though they lookes fairly clean.

Comment

Does your petcock have the PRI (prime) RES (reserve) and RUN settings?

Comment

well actually the bowls dont hold a heck of a lot.

I know its frowned upon but a shot of starter fluid will rule out bad spark bad commpression and a host of other issues clearly indicating a prob with fule delivery.

clean is hard to gauge on a carb the passages are very very small for some circuits.
                removal of the carbs from the bike along with removal of the slide\diaphraghm asseblies (to prevent costly damage to what I believe are irreplaceable diaphraghms) and the bowls so as to access and clean the jets is really best although a pita.

with the carbs inverted on a bench you can get a good idea of how clean the various passages are by dribbling carb cleaner into the mains and pilots.

it it sinks down immediately and leaks out of the other end ot the passage things are clean but if it lays there for a long time things are nasty.

I have gotten decent reult form a couple of spary cans of carb cleaner but patience is required. driblle or shoot it in then let it sit ( just like letting developer sit in a film drum the reaction needs time to take place just going nuts will onl waste your chemicals.)

the tiny pipes that extend into the bowls are the pcikups for the choke enrichment circuit and were the worst thing i had to clean. the choke plugs holes on the top fron of the carbs are the place to squirt in cleaner to clear the pipes descending into the bowls.

fortuantely I have a Canadian set of carbs and merely had to take out the idle jets to shoot into the idle circuit but you ma have to look up the process of drillin out the caps on yours. I am sure it is somewhere on this site.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM.

Comment

1983 gs550es

The petcock has all those. I have tried it on prime when i first start it, then tun it on once it idles down, once i stand the bike up straight the rpms drop, when the bike is leaned to the right it stalls some so you have to give it throttle to keep it going. I plan to remove the carbs again this weekend along with making sure the petcock hoses are connected right. I'll get a picture of my bike so you'll see what I'm working with. Thanks for the info..

Comment

you may wanna remove the petcock and clean out the tank
                    its very dd that the condition would exist on a lean angle.

is it otherwise working fine Sorry I was confused by another thread sorry.

hey guys could the float be binding ont he pivot?

check the float valves as well.

Comment

1983 gs550es

I will check that as well. It starts fine, now with the choke closed most of the way, but by the time the bike is ready to go the rpms drop, then i have trouble starting it again. I just replace all the plugs too. I just don't want it stalling especially if I'm leaned into a deep right curve. Other than that the bike seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post

hey guys could the float be binding ont he pivot?

check the float valves as well.
                        Could be that, issues with the fuel screen in the tank, several issues, maybe. The fuel system in theese bikes are vey simple...do it all and be done with it!

Comment

That's what I will do, thank you all for so much help!!:-D

Comment

1983 suzuki gs550es

What is the volyage suppose to be for the fuel cock on the gas tank. I measured 7.56 volts.. is this correct.

Comment

um voltage?
                              manual says 6 Ohms full
                              97 Ohms Empty no mention of voltage
                              one assumes the resitance in the circuit is stepping downt he voltage from 12 V

Comment

Working...
                              X