Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need R/R Installation Guidance!!!

Hey, dubs here again... 1982 450

So my new r/r finally arrived, a late 2000 Honda CBR model with 3 yellow, 1 red, and 1 green wire. My stock r/r has 5 wires as well: red, green, yellow, white w/blue stripe, and a white w/red stripe. I've attempted to use basscliff's handy r/r replacement guide but it fails me when it comes to the different colored wires.

can someone please help me match these wires up? I know that green is ground (which I'll run direct to the negative post on the battery), red is my power. That leaves the yellow, white w/blue, and white w/red from my stock r/r to be matched with my new r/r with just 3 yellow wires ... can someone help? Do i just consider all the remaining wires to be yellow? :?

Looking at the connections, it appears that only the yellow and white w/blue wires go to the stator .. the white w/red heads towards the front of the bike? (sorry, cant tell where it goes w/o ripping off all the protective wrap... but appears to follow my red wire.)

I'm rather confused typing that out, hopefully it makes sense ...

As always, thanks for your help fellas!

~dubs

Your confusion is typical, so don't worry about it.

Yes, after connecting the red and green wires, you may consider them all to be yellow. Ignore that wire that disappears to the front of the bike. Remove the stator lead that plugs into it and connect it straight to your 'new' r/r, instead.

Your wiring should now be:
    3 wires (whatever color) directly from stator to r/r
    1 red wire to battery + (through fuse, of course)
    1 green wire to battery - (as direct as possible)

Your red wire might connect to a red wire on the bike, but if you examine the wiring diagram, it leads to the battery, so feel free to connect to the existing wire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are right to consider all three wires yellow (the 2 white/wstripes and the yellow) They all are output from the stator, the one wire that heads up front runs through the headlight switch(if there is one), many people reroute this to connect directly to the r/r. Just connect up the three remaining wires, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks Steve ... I went out to look at my bike ... here is some added confusion:

Currently (Stock r/r) ... the yellow and white w/blue stripe go to the stator. Red to power, and white w/red stripe goes towards front of bike (not sure where).

Coming out of the stator connections however, is a white w/green stripe which connects and follows the white w/red and my red wire (not to the r/r). So there is currently 3 wires coming from the stator (1 yellow, 1 white w/blue, 1 white w/green), but only 2 connect to my stock r/r.

So my main question is what do i do with the white w/red stripe ... and what do i do with the white w/green stripe? One of these wires will have to be left as a dead hanging wire correct?

Comment

Originally posted by bdub416 View Post
          Thanks Steve ... I went out to look at my bike ... here is some added confusion:

Currently (Stock r/r) ... the yellow and white w/blue stripe go to the stator. Red to power, and white w/red stripe goes towards front of bike (not sure where).

Coming out of the stator connections however, is a white w/green stripe which connects and follows the white w/red and my red wire (not to the r/r). So there is currently 3 wires coming from the stator (1 yellow, 1 white w/blue, 1 white w/green), but only 2 connect to my stock r/r.

So my main question is what do i do with the white w/red stripe ... and what do i do with the white w/green stripe? One of these wires will have to be left as a dead hanging wire correct?
          Nope. The three wires coming out of your stator are yellow. Keep saying that to yourself. "They are yellow". So are the three wires from your new R/R unit. Connect the three yellow from stator ro three yellow from R/R in any order. Then connect red from R/R to a red that should in your wiring harness, the same place the red from the old R/R connected, and connect the green to the battery.

Comment

all three wires from the stator can go directly to the R/R. the stock wiring sends one leg of the stator up to the headlight switch (a japanese thing, they apparently ride w/ their headlights off alot over there?) just ignore this and connect it directly to the R/R.

Comment

I'll trust you guys, I am only hesitant as that leaves 2 wires left unconnected (wires that appear to head towards the front of the bike): the white w/red stripe and the white w/green stripe.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help!

~dubs

Comment

I believe the original purpose of routing a stator wire thru the headlight was to regulate excess current from the stator to the R/R. I guess the first R/Rs were unable to handle all three leads, and since the headlight was always supposed to be on, they routed a leg thru there.

My understanding is that the new aftermarket and Honda R/Rs can easily handle the current from all three stator leads, making the headlight routing unnecessary.

Comment

grrrr

So I've been waiting for my new r/r, thinking once installed all my problems would be solved. I installed the r/r as instructed above. Ground direct to (-) battery, red to (+) battery, and the 3 yellow wires connected to the three wires coming from the stator (which was 1 yellow, 1 white/green, 1 white/blue). Which left two dead end wires (white/red, white/green) that were connected to the stock r/r, both run towards the front of the bike.

I now blow my main fuse the instant I turn the key. The bike used to short after several min of running, or at high rpms ...

Anyone have any ideas? I need to let it be for a while or I'll find myself rolling the bike into the lake in my backyard.

Anyone from Minnesota that feels like donating some time to a fellow, disgruntled GS owner?

Regards,
                  ~ dubs

Comment

Did you get the reg on Ebay ? Could be a bad one ???? I don't remember for sure, the green wire from the reg is 12v source not ground ?????

Comment

..., and white w/red stripe goes towards front of bike (not sure where).

Coming out of the stator connections however, is a white w/green stripe which connects and follows the white w/red ...
                      So my main question is what do i do with the white w/red stripe ... and what do i do with the white w/green stripe?
                      ... that leaves 2 wires left unconnected (wires that appear to head towards the front of the bike): the white w/red stripe and the white w/green stripe.
                      ... Which left two dead end wires (white/red, white/green) that were connected to the stock r/r, both run towards the front of the bike.
                      Those two 'dead' wires that go to the front of the bike? IGNORE THEM. They are not needed for your bike to run properly.

Several people have voiced their opinions on what they do and why. Most of them are close. Bikes sold before 1980 in the US and later in the rest of the world had the ability to turn off the headlight. To avoid overloading the regulator, one leg of the stator was switched off along with the headlight. Since virtually all of our bikes have the headlight ON all the time, and the fact that there is no switch anyway, you may as well wire the stator as directly as possible to the r/r by eliminating those two wires with all their extra connectors.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X