X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting the cases. Umm... How?

My handy Suzuki service manual says:
    "Separate the lower crankcase from the upper one."

Sure.. I'd be happy to, but I've got no freaking idea how to get the two parts to separate.

Not sure what model your dealing with but usually there are two or three "jack screw" holes in the lower case. These are threaded holes (8x1.25 or 10x1.50 if I recall correctly, I think the main web bolts are the right size) that are blind holes in the lower case and dead end on the "gasket surface" (OK, I know no gasket goes there but bond but what the heck else am I goning to call them? :P) of the upper case. Usually one or two in the very front of the case (turn the cases upside down) and one in the very rear.

Be certain you have all the bolts and screws lock plates etc out first.

Never recall having to use them though, some careful shot with the rubber hammer always got them apart for me.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look for those.
      The engine is an 8v 1000 - not exactly sure of the year though

Comment

Splitting cases is easy

Step 1: Remove engine from bike
        Step 2: Get large sledge hammer
        Step 3: Whack engine with sledge hammer
        Step 4: If case isn't split repeat step three until case is split

The end \\/

Comment

Make yourself a cardboard templet, the bolts are different lengths so make holes in the cardboard to store the bolts, Not sure on the 1000. I took a 4v/750 apart & theri were some hidden bolts up in the oil filter housing

Comment

I have just split my cases (and not with a sledge hammer as above). On my motor the jacking holes were not threaded. you place an 8mm nut inside the square section and thread an 8mm bolt in from the top with the cases upside down on the bench. Wind each screw in a few turns and then the next one. If it does not pop off easily then you have forgotten a few bolts somewhere.

If you check out the crankcase diagram on a microfiche page it will show all bolts to be removed. There are five 6mm bolts deep inside the crankcase from the bottom when you have removed the sump and a 6mm nut and 8mm bolt near the final drive sprocket. There was on mine anyway.

Good Luck.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2008, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
              Splitting cases is easy

Step 1: Remove engine from bike
              Step 2: Get large sledge hammer
              Step 3: Whack engine with sledge hammer
              Step 4: If case isn't split repeat step three until case is split

The end \\/
              I prefer to use some sort of wedge. like they use for splitting wood. Once the aluminum starts to tear, your pretty much done.

Comment

Does anyone have the OEM manual operating procedure for this guy?

A case splitter may be expensive but far cheaper than a ruined or warped or stress compromised set of cases.
                In no way should you be beating on the cases with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  In no way should you be beating on the cases with a hammer.
                  Don't worry, I won't be. The jackbolt method sounds like it will work. I think there's one spot just above the sprocket. I'll get around to separating them it tomorrow.

Comment

The jackbolts were designed into the cases for this exact reason. There is no "special tool" case splitter like for the dirt bikes.

I didn't normally hit the case itself, they are too fragile. I'd hit (upwards) on the crank end, output shaft, whatever with my soft hammer. It normally didn't take any aggressive use of the hammer to get the cases to pop open.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Ok so you take the cases apart. Which gaskets should I purchase to replace? Also is it liquid gasket on the cases? I will be dooing this shortly and am not sure wat to purchase..

Comment

Every gasket and seal in the motor that was disturbed. Left and right crank seals, CS seal, there maybe be a blind plug ahead of the CS, cam end plugs.......etc

Clutch gasket, Dyno gasket, cylinder base gasket and o-rings, head gasket, cam chain tensioner gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket.....etc

Piston circlips

You get the idea. Reusing gaskets is bad juju and is a great way to have to do the same job twice.

As far as case bond goes, I'd spring for the current version of Suzuki Bond.

Comment

BTW I'm assuming you took the top end off? I'm curious, what was the actual repair job?

Comment

Working...
                          X