More projects.....Need help finding resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More projects.....Need help finding resources

I have just been given the task this weekend in fixing two other bikes for friends. What I need is web site addresses where I can find information about these two bikes before I begin. What I am looking for is forums like this and carb tune-up information for both bikes. I have done searches on the net, but I don't come up with much. I see alot of you own different bikes in your signatures when posting and I figured you all could help me find these resourses.

The two bikes I'll be working on this weekend are as follows...

1982 Honda CB900 Custom

And A

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650

Any help in finding tune-up information would be great (i.e. jet settings, etc.).

Thanks,
    Jim

BikeBandit.com has microfiche, where in MN are you located, a good friend and tech of mine owns a 1982 CB900 Custom (with the high/low tranny, cool bike) and has had to tune th carbs. I owned a 1982 Yammy Maxim 550, but never really tuned it much, blew up the motor instead.

Comment

Originally posted by GSbuilder
      a good friend and tech of mine owns a 1982 CB900 Custom (with the high/low tranny, cool bike)
      I've read about this High/Low tranny. Just what exactly is this anyhow. I read it's got something like 10 gears. How the.......does this work?

Comment

CB900C

The bike is a shaft drive, and the engine driving gear is on the other side of the engine from the shaft. To get power to the shaft they had to put in another gearshaft to transfer the power to the other side of the engine. Since they had a shaft doing nothing they put a few gears on it. The high/low gearshift is awkward to use, and most people just use it as a sixth gear. You start out in low and run thru the five gears, then shift into high range. It drops your engine down by about 500 rpm's. The bike is a little faster than a GS850 and with that extra gear it tops out a little bit under 150 mph. If you want to you can play interstate trucker and move thru all the gears, but it doesn't get you much.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the high/low tranny thing.

I think I found what I need on bikebandit.com as far as carb schematics go for these bikes. Now I just need some forums to ask people questions if needed. I would hate to use this board to ask tech questions about Honda and Yamaha bikes being this is a susuki gs site. Unless nobody here minds me asking a few question on these if needed?

Comment

CB900C website

There is a CB900C/CB1000C group on yahoo. They are pretty active and can probably answer your questions. I can't help you with the Yammy. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hondacb900cb1000

Comment

Working...
            X