gs-1000 engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs-1000 engine rebuild

i am completely rebuilding a 1978 gs-1000 engine from the bare split cases on up..if anyone needs any info on this, let me know....

I had planned to do the same for my 81 1100 this past winter. The motor runs decent and has ok compression but is quite noisy. How many miles does your motor have on it? How tough is this job?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Personally I think the GS engine is one of the easiest engines ever made to work on. Getting a engine in and out of the frame by yourself is tough but can be done. Lot less trouble than a plain bearing engine. And most of all I love the rocker design. Compared to a GSXR or hayabusa its a piece of cake.

Comment

I meant to tell you two things. Look at that clutch basket very good...the backing plates are bad to bust and the individual ears on the 1000 are bad to crack. Plus check the crank for twisting. I twisted a 78 GS1000 that was never on the drag strip ...only had a pipe and carbs.

Comment

cbxchris is right - the cranks do twist and the outer (large) clutch basket is a piece of junk and will be very noisy

I rebuilt my 78 a few years ago - I had a local race motor builder check my crank and the he welded the journals - I think he charged me $50 - much cheaper than a rebuilt!

I ordered the clutch basket and some aftermarket plates

Overall, the engine is very easy to work on - you'll find a Weisco 1085 kit is much cheaper than factory oversize - a valve job and you should be ready to go

Do not forget to change the cam chain while the motor is apart!!!

Examine the gearbox and other moving items - like the camchain tensioner and idler gear

Clean everything and put it back together - I took mine to the race track and got it dynoed for cheap - 86 rwhp and great torque

Comment

gs-1000 rebuild

i pulled my 1000 apart because it was jumping out of 2nd and 3rd gear.upon teardown, i found several shift dogs rounded off...i've owned it since new, and made several mods to it..including wiesco 1100 kit, barnett clutch, welded basket, dyna ign. 29mm smoothbores, it's been run pretty hard and at 50,000 miles, I tore it down completely to the bare cases... things to check...rod big end to thrust washer gaps, rod deflection, crank roller bearings, etc...noise from a gs can come from the cams, clutch basket, and cam chain...more later....

Comment

Working...
            X