Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone neaa Cleveland thas pulled a motor or know a good shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone neaa Cleveland thas pulled a motor or know a good shop?

I have a 81' gs650 glx..Te clutch will not ene d hhavv tried erything i ca do with out pulling the motor. Anyone know a gooo tech trying not to spend too much on the repair.... your thoughts...?

On a 650GL it is shaft drive, I would sugest that you push the drive shaft boot (between the engine & swingarm) asside so that you can see with it in gear turn the rear wheel see if the drive shaft turns. The rear wheel adapter, may be bad or the secondary gear set may be broken where the driveshaft bolts up to the engine

Comment

Are you saying the clutch doesn't engage? Or it doesn't disengage? You might just have clutch discs that are frozen together. Did you just get the bike or have you had it for a while? If it is the clutch plates you don't have to pull the motor. Also, check for some "free play" in the clutch handle. If you don't have free play the clutch will stay compressed and the wheel won't turn.

Comment

sorry disengage. Basically i start the bike pull the clutch in put it in first gear and slowly let out the clutch, and nothing. I can fully let go of the clutch while it is in 1st gear and all the bike does it bump forward but not enough to move it. The engine at this point will still run and well at that point. when the bike is in gear you can actually move the bike forward while it is in gear, i do not think this is normal. I bought the bike about a month ago form someone who had just replaced the clutch, we opened up the clutch area and the plates and fibers were fine, the springs looked good as well but the clutch basket seemed to have some play in it. Then we moved on to thinking it was something with the shaft I had heard their is a nut that sometimes backs off and then snaps that would cause this issue but after we tore off the rear swing arm and inspected all of the splines on the shaft as well as the nut was safely secured.

I am not 100% mechanically enclined however my buddy is a car mechanic and does work on bikes on the side but has never done anything further than where I have just mentioned. He seems to think it is in the propellar shaft in the secondary drive but we are unsure.

Also I am not completely sure that it is not in the clutch area but not sure what to look for as well as it may be quite costly to pull the engine and crack the case open to find nothing wrong with it. The only other item that wasnt torn apart was the final drive unit, could something be a miss in their?

This is my first bike and the whole 2 weeks i got to ride it was pure BLISS, any help you could give me would be appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by tsunamimike View Post
          Basically i start the bike pull the clutch in put it in first gear and slowly let out the clutch, and nothing. I can fully let go of the clutch while it is in 1st gear and all the bike does it bump forward but not enough to move it.
          What you mean is that the clutch will not ENGAGE. :shock:

Originally posted by tsunamimike View Post
          I bought the bike about a month ago form someone who had just replaced the clutch, we opened up the clutch area and the plates and fibers were fine, the springs looked good as well but the clutch basket seemed to have some play in it.
          I would go back into the clutch area. The first thing to check is proper adjustment on the cable. There should be just a little play at the lever, indicating that all tension is off of it when it is released. There are always two (sometimes three) adjustment points in a clutch cable. Start by screwing in the adjusters at the clutch lever to give the most slack possible. Next, adjust the lower end of the cable. Again, you are looking for just a little play at the lever. If neither one of these adjustments will get what you are looking for, you may have to remove the clutch release arm and move it one tooth on the shaft and try again.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok i meant engage

Comment

Why on Earth would you need to pull the engine to fix a clutch problem?

Also, never let a shop touch a vintage bike. That way lies only madness, expense, and heartbreak.

Get a manual, ask questions on this site, and do it yourself.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i didnt say it was a clutch problem, actually i do not know whats wrong with at all. My buddy is working on it but does not have experiences with GS's. I would love to have someone from the boards help me out with this but my bikie is imobile at this point....

Comment

This is the second thread on the same bike. Suggestion in the last thread is that there was a failure in the secondary drive.

Honestly, shooting in the dark on this one. My guess is secondary drive and not clutch. Only way to know is to do some disassembly work.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

To find out if the secondary gearing has failed, remove clutch cover and with bike on centerstand, slowly rotate rear wheel with transmission in gear. You should see the clutch assembly spin. If you can stop clutch from spinning while the wheel turns, then the problems is most likely with secondary gears. There are other possibilities such as bad gears, sheared gear rods but not too likely. It is also possible that the driveshaft connecting rear unit to motor is broken. This is easy to check, again bike on centerstand, rotate wheel while feeling the universal in the rubber drive boot. You can feel shaft turn while wheel is spinning.

On my 650 with a broken secondary bevel gear, I could spin the output shaft in all gears with very little resistance; on a bike with good secondary, you will feel gear drag and lash as the slack is picked up between gears. One other interesting note, with the bad secondary the bike was very easy to push, even easier than a chain driven bike. Usually shaft drive bikes have some resistance to being pushed.

Comment

its not the driveshaft already checked. I can move the bike forward walking it while it is in gear which tells by buddy it is something in the secondary.

My buddy is resistant since he has never split cases before and it seems like it will never get fixed... that is why I am reaching out to se eif anyone can help..

Comment

It sounds like the clutch cable is out of adjustment. When you had the cover off the clutch, how many plates did you see? And did those plates alternate between drive and driven plate. If the guy slapped it together just to sell it he might not have put all the plates back in, or put them in wrong. Did the driven plates have dimples on them? If there are no dimples then the plates will not engage(nothing to grab while turning).

Comment

Like it was already pointed out you need to put the bike on the center stand, take off the clutch cover, and watch what the clutch basket and discs do while you rotate the rear wheel with the bike in gear. It's really not hard for anyone familiar with bikes (i.e. your friend) to find where the connection between the engine and rear wheel is lost. I suspect that because you checked the shaft drive (thoroughly I hope) that the problem is in the clutch. If it's not there then the transmission is suspect.

Unfortunately your problem isn't a "common" one where we can tell you what wire to plug back in or what nut to tighten to make it all better, you'll have to do some digging and get down and dirty.

Comment

clutch

I'm in Cleveland if you need someone to look at it.
                            I'm a factory trained tech. IM me if your still stuck.

Comment

Working...
                            X