fairing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fairing removal

ok all you Gs'rs(?) need some help.. have a 82 gs1100gl that originally had a fairng on it.. IT no longer has this particular piece yet the harness piece is there.. can i abandon this harness without any reprocussions???also there is a small relay under the gas tank area near the coils it has a small brown wire that goes toward the rear of the bike and a few more that run into the main harness.. what is this and can it to be deleted??? help this would be great if anyone knows .. thanks in advance
    Keith :? :twisted: :x :mrgreen:

anyone have any guesses?

Comment

Keith, I've got the elec. schematic at home and will copy it and send it with the screws. I won't be able to post anything on it here until Monday though ( no internet connection at home).

Comment

thank you !!!

Comment

Just a idea for what it's worth : Looking at the wiring diagram of a 1982 GS1100GL the only brown wiring I can find goes from the ignition switch to the tail brake light. You mentioned a relay. Maybe the previous owner installed some version of Focus Frenzy's relay diagram on the tail light (to disconnect the power to the light when the starter button is engaged).
          As I said, just a idea...
          PS : I still have to find out how to add an attachment to a PM but I can send you a scanned copy of your wiring diagram if you want

Comment

very cool... this will be of great help as the wire has no where to go and the tailights are missing(have donor bike but none the less... ) thans a great deal... you may have made my night a whole lot better!

Comment

There is only one relay as standard on the bike, and that is on the right side, under the side cover, used for turn signals.

Since no other relay was was standard on the bike, the colour of the wire has no significance.

It may be that someone hooked up a set of car horns or supplementary lights at some time, and used the relay for that.

In any event, unless something is connected to the relay now, removing it means nothing but a touch less weight to carry around, although, if you remove it, you may wish to check the origin of the wire, and ensure there are no possible shorts to result from disconnection at the relay.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

dgeorge ever go up to Piedmont and watch the drag races?? I`m in Thomasville. On the harness I`m sure there are some things that need disconnecting....probably best to wait for the wiring layout.

Comment

Working...
                X