snapped clutch cable replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snapped clutch cable replacement question

well, my grotty old clutch cable finally snapped, thankfully only 150 feet from my house. should i get a motion pro cable from z1, or an oem? i have heard the oem are better quality, but, boy, those guys at z1 ship fast, faster than my dealer or anyone else. maybe i will get the motion pro and order an oem also, couldnt hurt to have an extra around, eh? not much of a question, i guess, sorry to clutter up the forum......

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Whatever you get, grease the bearing inside the clutch lever or it will break again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Normally, the cables will give signs of failure before they snap. The cable will sometimes stretch & need adj. or sometimes you will feel the clutch lever seem to give a little. This would be a couple or three strands of the cable snaping. It should still last a while longer before it completely fails. Sometimes they get slow & draggy feeling. This would be lack of lube, or possibly a strand broken inside the sheath & binding. This would be the time to get a new one & get it installed, before it snaps. Not always, but almost always, there will be some kind of noticable indication before complete cable failure. I'd rather have OEM if same price & equal time of delivery. Normally aftermkt, Motion Por, will be cheaper & quicker so probably would be my choice & should last for years with no problems. In future, notice any abnormal feeling in clutch lever operation, & try to get it replaced before it fails. Just my opinion!!!
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I agree. Go with stock.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Get the correct OEM cable !!!!!

Comment

yeah, i should have replaced it when i did all the other work.....impatience to get on the road. luckily, it went close to home. i think i will order one of each, put the zuke one on when it gets here and keep the motion pro as a backup. my clutch did feel odd the last few times out.....it broke in the middle of the cable, i think there was a little break in the outer sheath that let some elements in....it was all rusted at the break. serves me right for not inspecting it more closely!!
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

June is busting out all over!!!!!

If the weather is half as nice there as it is here, I'd put on the one that shows up first!\\/
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
              X