WHAT THE HELL?? Now what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT THE HELL?? Now what should I do?

I took the magnetic drain plug out just a few minutes ago to change the oil and filter on the 1100G. On the end of the drain plug there sits what appears to be some of the mesh screen from the breather. So this crap has made its way from the top of the motor to the bottom....GRRRRRRRR!! What should i do? Im changing the filter, I suppose i should order a new pan gasket and pull it off, and then take the breather and valve cover off and see if anymore of that crap is floating around in the head Man...

I don't think that's possible. It's probably from the oil pickup screen. Pull the oil pan and have a looksy. Don't stress. It'll be alright.
    How big is it. Got a pic?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is rather large. The only way i could see it happening is it falling out of the breather, and straight down past the crank and stuff. My other thought looking at it at first was that it was at one time a spring, but i dont think so......I'll throw up a pic, and then im off to pull the filter to see what i have going on in there.

What you guys think?

Comment

That's not mesh. Looks like a spring or threads. Most likely a spring.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

The remains of a Heli Coil. I'll bet your drain plug leaks when You reinstall IF it will tighten up. I had the same issue with my old 850.
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Look big enough to be a cam chain tensioner spring?? My chain seems to have some slap lately...

On the good side, I *think*(hope). There's nothing IN the filter, or in the filter housing.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
              The remains of a Heli Coil. I'll bet your drain plug leaks when You reinstall IF it will tighten up. I had the same issue with my old 850.
              Not big enough to be a helicoil. You can see the drain plug sitting next to it. I threaded it back in, nice and snug. We'll see if it leaks...

Comment

Looks to me like a spring. The coils look quite uniform. A spring from where though?

Sorry I can't really tell what it is but it is a bit ominous and I share your anxiety.

Hope you can sort it out and it doesn't become a big issue.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you find. I'm thinking good thoughts for you.

Cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

Well, if its the cam chain tensioner spring, it only has but to go down to reach the pan...Never cracked the cases, but I would tend to think its pretty easy for it to get down there...my bigger question is now: How much if it is STILL in there? I cant imagine the sorts of damage that can occur with that type of sh1t floating around in there Damnit damnit damnit....

Comment

K...its not cam chain tensioner spring...i just had a look at one i have laying around, and its way too small and delicate to be that. However, another thought occured to me. Starter clutch makes that lovely CLACK now and again, so its going out. It may be starter clutch spring....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      K...its not cam chain tensioner spring...i just had a look at one i have laying around, and its way too small and delicate to be that. However, another thought occured to me. Starter clutch makes that lovely CLACK now and again, so its going out. It may be starter clutch spring....
                      Now that makes sense. Around the same size.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Now that makes sense. Around the same size.
                        And the same weight/strength by looking at it. Thats a bit reassuring too, as it is LESS likely that it would get into the bearings and what not from there i would think.

Comment

Well, changed the filter, changed the oil. Ordering a pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and cam chain tensioner gasket (need to take a look at the cam chain tensioner anyway, i dont think it has anything to do with this at the moment) I have a stator cover gasket. Was going to spend the day working on the cafe tomorrow, but i think I'll pop that stator cover off and have a lookeyloo in there and see whats goin on. Mayhaps, if its a starter clutch spring, there will be more bits floating around in there. Thus far, aside from my other minor issues which i have pinned down, it doesnt seem to have hurt the bike at all, and its been over 2000 miles since its last change, so i have no idea how long its been hanging out in there. So..I will run it like i never knew it was there. When my gaskets get here, I will pull all that stuff off and have a look see. Then change the oil again. Need to find a starter clutch tho...

Comment

Jim RZ'd your bike? :-|

Comment

God i hope not Only time will tell i suppose. I guess i better put some bucks away for the "In The Event I Need a New Motor Fund" If Jim just seeing pics and talking about it did this, there's no way in HELL im taking it down for him to actually TOUCH. hehehe

Comment

Working...
                              X