No announcement yet.

WHAT THE HELL?? Now what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank god for spare parts. I had a look at a starter clutch assembly i had laying around in the basement for the various 750s, and it so happens i could get to one of the springs. After examining it, I am near positive thats what it is. And, whats more, i think i got MOST if not ALL of it when i changed the oil. I know one lil shred could hurt the bearings. But i dont know that it could get to the bearings from where its at/coming from. Anyone have better knowlege of the case lowers that can confirm or deny this assumption?

Comment

I really doubt it made it to the bearings. Looks like it never made it past the screen since it's all still one piece. Gravity was your friend in this case. If you found it up near the cam, then I would worry.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the reasoning Jeff. I've gone from TOTALLY furious, to upset, to denial, to rationalization...Man, sounds like i need a 12 step program or something. I feel much better knowing at least where it came from, and that I got a good majority, if not all of it, out. So there's that. But, Im telling Jim if he so much as looks at her wrong at Red River, or if I see him sooner, Im lopping off a body part LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          I've gone from TOTALLY furious, to upset, to denial, to rationalization...L
          Thats why I have several bikes. When one starts eating parts and pizzing me off, I simply walk away. I'll ride the others 'till I calm down. Sometimes it takes weeks...:-|

Comment

Maybe I should just spend the day tomorrow getting the cafe done, so i HAVE another roadworthy bike, just in case...lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Maybe I should just spend the day tomorrow getting the cafe done.
              Fixed it for ya! \\/

Comment

...I'm innocent I tell you! 8-[

"Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Of the Rider, Maybe BUT what about the bike??8-[
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

For some odd reason he's been hiding it as well as himself... maybe it was the shrunken heads down in the shop... somebody you knew? 8-[
                    "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Are you positive some of that spring is not stuck to the oil screen?

Comment

No idea, wont know till i pull the pan. I dont have a pan gasket (at least one that will work anyway) at the moment, so I will have to wait till it gets here to find out. Cleaning the sump was on my list of things to do anyway, now this just re-enforces the need. Its quite possible there is some of it stuck to the screen. Its possible some made its way thru. If so, I'll be very upset before too long im sure. But, im hoping for the best, and based on the size of the spring that i have to compare, the number of winds that ive counted, and the number of pieces i pulled off the magnetic plug, and sifted out of my oil, I feel pretty good about thinking that MOST of it is definately out, if not all. I am still wondering, however, what all it had to pass thru in getting from the starterclutch area to the oil pan. Hopefully not much, and not anything resembling bearings or gears. Based on the condition of the former spring, Ive hypothosized that it came out of the starter clutch, got ran thru the primar starter gear, or the smaller starter gears, got chewed up pretty good and was made small enough to pass thru the rather large oil ports in that area. Im just not sure where they go from there to the pan...anyone know at all?

Comment

It probably stuck to the rotor and eventually got thrown and went directly to the oil pan.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thankfully someone had the brains to put magnets on the drain plugs!

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                              Thankfully someone had the brains to put magnets on the drain plugs!
                              Indeed. whoever that person was, I would like to buy them a beer or 10

Comment

Working...
                              X