electric starter woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric starter woes

thanks to everyones help so far I can finally kick start my '78 gs750... some of the time...
    other times it won't start to save my shins.. haha
    took out the old starter and tested it... dead.. so i just put in a replacement.
    the guy i bought it off tested it ( hooked it up to a car battery... spun like crazy) put it in my bike... and can't get it to spin...
    I tried shorting across the contacts on the starter relay.. i tried a wire from the hot on the starter relay right to starter motor.. and nothing.. no noises (except for the clicking of the relay when i push the start button)

any ideas? should i be checking the grounding on anything ( i put a ground on the rectifier already and theres a decent one on the relay )

any help would be appreciated.. i'd like to get it starting on a regular basis

Use a test light to verify that you do have power coming to the starter.
    If you have that, then make sure there is a good ground strap from the engine back to the chassis or battery.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure the starter gear and clutch are good.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

don't have a test light to check it.. but i used a voltmeter and it shows voltage (tho since its momentary it's hard to say how much...) i haven't checked the grounding to the engine yet... i'll do that tomorrow

as for the starter gear and clutch.. how do i check those? (i didn't take off the side covers when i replaced the starter motor... but i could feel the starter gear and it moved easy enough...

when i short directly from the hot on the starter relay to the starter motor, there's a small spark.. but the motor doesn't even sound like its turning

Comment

Do you have any jumper cables ? Connect to battery -- ground to engine / + cable touch it to the large terminal on the starter if the starter works great! that measn you need to work backwards to find your electrical problem. A wiring diagram will be a big help to you
          Have you checked the battery ???

Comment

Working...
          X