Fuel in oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in oil question

Just started tinkering on a 82 GS850GL and got her running today, had to make a fuel bottle to squirt fuel into the carb fuel line. I'm having to rebuild the petcock and fix a hole in the tank, but just wanted to see if she would fire up.

After running for about 45 seconds (the fuel I squirted should have only lasted 15-30) a mix of old fuel and oil started pouring out the breather. I had checked the sight glass before starting it and couldn't see the level, I had thought that with it being on the stand it would read high and didn't worry. I am assuming the previous owner had left the petcock on the prime setting and it had filled the engine with fuel.

Now my question is, would just draining the fuel/oil mess and refilling the oil hurt anything? I will do a complete filter oil change before I start driving it, but I don't want to go ahead spend the extra cash for the filter until I can make sure the engine is ok.

Filter is 5-7 bucks bro. If its starting, its probably ok. These motors, (even as much i like to crack on the 16v 750s) are good strong motors. If it will turn over and start, you're on your way to a running bike. Spend the money, change the oil and the filter. Do it again in about 500 miles. Gas in the oil can lead to bad bad things...

Comment

The previous owner sold me the bike cheap, because he said that it would only run for about 1-2 minutes and start missing and then die. He threw alot of money into it already, rebuild carbs, new coil, wires and plugs. He had determined that it was an electrical problem, with what he described and the condition of the tank and petcock I don't agree with him and think its fuel related.

But I just want to verify that I can get it to run for longer than 1-2 minutes before I devote a whole lot of cash, I know 5-7 bucks isn't much but I have already blown this past paydays budget on the bike and what I have already bought for it heh. I have several gallons of oil on hand(when I buy oil I get enough to do all my vehicles oil changes several times before having to buy more)

Was just wondering if it would hurt draining everything I could and refilling it just to verify I could get the engine to stay running for longer than 2 min. Once I could do that I would redrain it and replace the filter and everything.

Comment

Just loosen the filter cover & drain it too, will be Ok for now. Definately change the filter when you get the fuel system fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X