No announcement yet.

Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and sticking zip-ties down the spark plug holes is much easier than using "the tool". :shock:

I have had some difficulties with the zip-tie method, but I have tracked that down to my adaptation of the method. As written, with a folded zip-tie, it works very nicely and will not damage anyting. I also have "the tool" and get rather frustrated trying to use it, because is keeps slipping sideways off the bucket, snapping the valve closed. I am afraid THAT will cause more damage than a folded nylon zip-tie. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Oh, and sticking zip-ties down the spark plug holes is much easier than using "the tool". :shock:
      I guess I'll have to find out for myself :-D I like doing things like the manual suggests.

Comment

I also had troubles with "the tool" slipping off of the bucket. With a little practice, can do it now without slipping. Wasn't using the tool quite right. Works pretty slick once you figure it out. I wasn't too keen with the zip tie method. I'm concerned about the tip getting clipped off by a valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Burke View Post
          I also had troubles with "the tool" slipping off of the bucket. With a little practice, can do it now without slipping. Wasn't using the tool quite right. Works pretty slick once you figure it out. I wasn't too keen with the zip tie method. I'm concerned about the tip getting clipped off by a valve.
          When a heavy-duty tie is folded over, there is so much bearing area that I really don't believe that it's possible for a set of stock valve springs to shear the working end of the tie. If you only used the tip of a smaller zip-tie, I can see your concern, but you want to use one of the heavy 10-12" zip ties, fold it in half, then bend it at 45 degrees about 1/2" from the fold. I have found it useful to wrap some electrical tape around the tie just before the bend to keep everything lined up.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by djscottymiami View Post
            I like doing things like the manual suggests.
            When the manual was written, I don't think that zip-ties were in common use, otherwise they might have made it into the procedure. 8-[

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by djscottymiami View Post
              Exhaust is a contraption the P.O put onto it so that it would pass safety. It had no exhaust when he got it so he had to fab somethign up. It does have a few holes in it though.

Is there a guide for the spark plugs for the mixture? Im quite new at all this.

The bike does seem to roll easily in neutral. This is my first bike so I dont really have anything to compare it to.
              What did the airbox look like? Did it have a clean air filter in it? A stock 850 should be getting a lot better mpgs than you are experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                What did the airbox look like? Did it have a clean air filter in it? A stock 850 should be getting a lot better mpgs than you are experiencing.
                A little bit of dirt in it.. nothing much. The filter looked clean (no excessive large clumps of dirt... seal looked half decent). Could probably use to be cleaned and re-oiled. Will probably do that next weekend.

Comment

Gr. 108km and im between half and 1/4 tank.... i cant wait for the shim tool to get here so that i can check them valves... then the carbs I'll check my plugs today and see what they look like.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X