fixed exhaust leak, now doesnt run right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fixed exhaust leak, now doesnt run right

somehow i missed a decent size exhaust leak right on the crossover pipe and a crack in the weld after the y pipe connection at the muffler. this is on my 82 gs1100gl. well i fixed the leaks, and now the bike stumbles at low rpm and has a lot of vibration at higher rpms. i synced the carbs and adjusted the pilot jet screws before i fixed the leaks. im assuming because of the different airflow that it is causing the bad drivabilty. im just double checking with you guys, but if i just re sync and adjust the carbs then it should fine right? thanks.

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
    somehow i missed a decent size exhaust leak right on the crossover pipe and a crack in the weld after the y pipe connection at the muffler. this is on my 82 gs1100gl. well i fixed the leaks, and now the bike stumbles at low rpm and has a lot of vibration at higher rpms. i synced the carbs and adjusted the pilot jet screws before i fixed the leaks. im assuming because of the different airflow that it is causing the bad drivabilty. im just double checking with you guys, but if i just re sync and adjust the carbs then it should fine right? thanks.
    If thats all you've changed, I would have to agree with you. Your fix has apparently greatly affected the back pressure, and caused your problem. Resync and adjust, and you should be back to normal

Comment

somehow i missed a decent size exhaust leak right on the crossover pipe and a crack in the weld after the y pipe connection at the muffler.
      Must have been a big crack/hole in the exhaust system. When you had the exhaust leak were you getting any backfiring/popping from the carb or airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by JayH View Post
        Must have been a big crack/hole in the exhaust system. When you had the exhaust leak were you getting any backfiring/popping from the carb or airbox?
        Wouldnt have backfired or popped from the airbox or carbs. It would have leaned it out, and been popping on decel thru the pipe, or the hole in it rather.

Comment

yea maybe a pop here or there. i found the leaks when i took the exhaust off because i was bored one day, and i noticed the pipes 2 and 3 were kinda white inside and 1 and 4 were blackish. so the leak at the h pipe def leaned out 2 and 3. and yea the leaks were pretty bad, it was like a little fan blowing out the h-pipe area.

also, i noticed two holes, both were the size of a bb and in the same exact spot on each muffler, underneath right where they are welded to the y connector. are they supposed to be? or should i close them up?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 01:08 AM.

Comment

yea maybe a pop here or there. i found the leaks when i took the exhaust off because i was bored one day, and i noticed the pipes 2 and 3 were kinda white inside and 1 and 4 were blackish. so the leak at the h pipe def leaned out 2 and 3. and yea the leaks were pretty bad, it was like a little fan blowing out the h-pipe area.
            Certainly. Yup, readjust, resync, you should be golden. Its sometimes amazing how much these bikes will put up with, and then sometimes its amazing how little they will put up with too...lol

Comment

any idea about the two little holes under each muffler? i edited my post after u posted.

and also i started the engine up with no exhaust, you could see all four exhaust ports blowing flames. 2 and 3 were not as big a flame as 1 and 4. if that helps too.

Comment

any idea about the two little holes under each muffler? i edited my post after u posted.

and also i started the engine up with no exhaust, you could see all four exhaust ports blowing flames. 2 and 3 were not as big a flame as 1 and 4. if that helps too.

Uh...dont do that...with the no exhaust. Badness...

Second the two BB sized holes are for condensation to escape from the pipes. Its just a drain. Supposed to be there, all is well with it

Comment

Working...
                X