Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1150 - transmision sprocket oil leak, repeted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 - transmision sprocket oil leak, repeted.

I`m repeting my question to all GS 1150 owners out there:
    what is the best way to fight oil leak through transmission sprocket without breaking an angine in half?
    Anybody???

Adam M.

Re: GS 1150 - transmision sprocket oil leak, repeted.

Originally posted by mmedyna9629
    I`m repeting my question to all GS 1150 owners out there:
    what is the best way to fight oil leak through transmission sprocket without breaking an angine in half?
    Anybody???

Adam M.
    I am trying to recall how the seal is mounted in the case...I have changed seals without splitting the case before but did it on the crank on the ignition side. If it is the same way, you can drain the oil, use a small round bastard file and camfer the case around where the seal goes in (this is to take the edge off the case so it will not peel the rubber off the circumference of the seal). Remove the c-ring retainer. Take a screwdriver and pry out the oil seal. Then using a pipe that is long enough and has the proper inner and outer diameters so that it fits over the output shaft and rests on the solid part of the seal, gently drive the new seal back on. You may want to replace the o-ring that is on the shaft at this time...might as well since it is apart and easy to get to. Fill with oil and go riding!

Hap

Comment

Hey Hap,

Did you have any leakage problems after you camfered the case? I replaced my right hand crank seal when I bought my 850, but did not camfer the case. It did take off a small amout of rubber, but it sealed up okay. I wonder if you can place the seal in a freezer to make it shrink?
      Would this make the rubber too brittle?

Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s
        Hey Hap,

Did you have any leakage problems after you camfered the case? I replaced my right hand crank seal when I bought my 850, but did not camfer the case. It did take off a small amout of rubber, but it sealed up okay. I wonder if you can place the seal in a freezer to make it shrink?
        Would this make the rubber too brittle?

Brandon
        When I camfered it it was just enough to take that sharp edge off...very little. I also popped it in the reefer before I put it on...good point! I forgot about that.

How is you bike coming along?

Hap

Comment

Putting the cams in tonight. I still need to clean the carbs and replace all their o-rings(a thanks goes out to Bob Barr for the o-ring kit). I was messing with the cam chain adjuster last night and took it apart. The o-ring around the lock bolt looked like a piece of flat, hard plastic, and the one from the front where it bolts to the jugs is nowhere to be found. I think someone had it off before and didn't put it back. It has always seeped oil from the adjuster. I thing the missing and hardened o-rings are the reason. Does the o-ring go between the jug and the gasket, or between the gasket and the adjuster? I ordered the o-rings and some other stuff this morning, and should have them in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s
            Putting the cams in tonight. I still need to clean the carbs and replace all their o-rings(a thanks goes out to Bob Barr for the o-ring kit). I was messing with the cam chain adjuster last night and took it apart. The o-ring around the lock bolt looked like a piece of flat, hard plastic, and the one from the front where it bolts to the jugs is nowhere to be found. I think someone had it off before and didn't put it back. It has always seeped oil from the adjuster. I thing the missing and hardened o-rings are the reason. Does the o-ring go between the jug and the gasket, or between the gasket and the adjuster? I ordered the o-rings and some other stuff this morning, and should have them in a few days.
            Brandon, I can't remember....I recall the o-ring around the lock bolt and the paper gasket between the adjuster and the block...I remember a seal but it has been awhile. Let me get back to you on that.

Hap

Comment

Re: GS 1150 - transmision sprocket oil leak, repeted.

I have changed seals without splitting the case before but did it on the crank on the ignition side. If it is the same way,

*** Not really - the seal is protected with a halfring impossible to remove without splitting cases. The seal works not on the shaft but on the distance - piece of the steel tube sitting on the shaft and setting sprocket in the right position. Between this tube and the shaft there is e very thin oring. I checked this distance and realized it is pretty worn - so ordered a new one and a new oring. I hope it`ll help, but would like to hear if anybody had the same experience and how he repaired it.

Adam M.

Comment

Hhhhhmmm..sorry I couldn't help ya there. I remember the half ring now...good point.

Hap

Comment

This could only be used as temp fix. We were at a road race and a friend of mine went down damaging one of the crank ends on his bike. One of the crank seals was leaking. We cleaned it with contact cleaner very good. Then we put a thick bead of yamabond around the seal. It held for a entire race and did not leak. Heck what ya got to lose?? try it ...maybe it will work.

Comment

Working...
                  X