Air Screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Screw?

I have an 82 GS1100G,ive dipped my carbs and replaced the Orings and intake Orings,and bench sinked my carbs.At this time i dont have funds for a carb sinking tool. So my ? is what is the air screw acually adjust. P.O stripped the #4 Air Screw thread.

would i be correct to assume they are for sinking

Please Help Thank You

nope, the air screw is for adjusting the low speed mixture.

it is used for fine tuning the flow of air and fuel from the pilot jet.

the screws on the throttle butterfly shaft between the carbs is for syncronization (aka syncing)

bench syncing will get them close and only requires the tools needed to turn those screws between the carbs.

Comment

OK, they are actually more than just 'air' screws. They actually control the amount of fuel/air mix that is added to the intake throat after the throttle butterfly, meaning they affect the mixture mostly at idle. If the threads are stripped on #4, how did you remove it to dip the carbs? There is an o-ring at the bottom of that screw, and if you did not remove the screws, that o-ring is going to be mushy history.

And...NO, they are NOT used for synchronizing the carbs. There are screws with locknuts located between each of the carbs, on the throttle shaft that are used to sync the carbs. If you did a bench sync like you say you did, then you have already found them and adjusted them. If those are not what you adjusted with your bench sync, then you have 'adjusted' something else. :shock:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you pull those screws when you dipped the carbs? I had a sinking feeling in my stomach that you didn't.
        The term actually is synchronizing the carbs. Sync for short. Not making fun of you just letting you know.
        The sync screws are on the throttle linkage of the carbs. The screw you're referring to controls fuel flow during idle. I call them idle mixture screws. If you dipped them they are toast. Get a dremmel and cut a notch into the screw. I cut off the channel leading to the threads. Don't cut the threads. It works. I'll take a pic of a carb I just did today if you'd like.
        Last edited by chef1366; 06-03-2008, 03:37 AM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yea the air screws where all removed before the dip. the #4 slot was stripped, P.O must have cross-threaded it or something because it was all marred and stripped. I am able to get it out if I turn the carb up-side down and tap it, that is of course when i thread it out as far as it will go, you know and then tap it till it falls out. Now i can not get it out because i can not turn it up-side down wile mounted on bike.

The synchronizing the carbs (sinking is easer to spell) was done with a paper clip... tips I got from this wonderful site

Thanks

Comment

I don't get it.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

oh an chef1366 the picture would be appreciated, although I have real good Idea what your talking about

Can this be re-threaded or am I out of luck and need new carb body

Comment

I have a good #4 carb body for your bike. Let me know if you want it. Where in CA are you?

Comment

Ok the slot in the air screw, stripped. Like no longer a slot.

the threads in-witch the air screw threads in to, also stripped/crossthreaded.

when I removed the air screw to do the dip,it did not just thread/unscrew easly, I turned it (carb body) up-side down and tapped untill it fell out(guess it was stuck as-well

Comment

The threads for those screws are a super-fine pitch. I am under the impression that only Mikuni has those taps available. 8-[

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X