No ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No ground

I get an intermittent lack of ground in my entire electical system that is driving me nuts. The bike will start and light up but after a short 5 min run, all the lights go out and not even the ignition lights will turn on. The previous owner did a real job of wire cutting and splicing that I am struggling with.

So the question is - how do I go about sourcing the cause of the problem.....or do I need to trace and test each wire for continuity from front to back or is there an inherent source for the problem connection?

If youre sure its a ground problem Id start with a new battery ground cable. Eliminate the easy stuff first. After that a good electrical diagram is a must. Splices are only as good as the guy who did them. Most automotive style splices suck. Give your fuse block a good going over. New fuses and a can of electrical contact cleaner are cheap insurance.

ps: What Bike are you working on ?
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-03-2008, 05:36 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Are you popping the main fuse when this happens? Or does everything just go dark? When does it come back?

Comment

What year and model GS are you working on?

Comment

Year

It's an '83 model

Comment

Working...
          X