Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug / Oil Questions

Spark plugs:

checked the plugs on my '80 GS850 and they seemed to be sooty (if that is even a word). The electrodes have a tad bit of discoloring at the tips. What kind of condition is this? I'm assuming it's running a tad bit rich since my exhaust isn't stock.

I checked my fuel economy today. I did 110km for 8.5L which works out to 30mpg. I want it to improve a bit.

Oil:

I think I accidentally over-filled the oil. I was checking the oil and noticed it was low. I added some oil and then realized that it was on the side stand and not the center stand I put it on the center stand and it's over the 'F' line. Is this ok? I took it for a ride to the gas station and it wasn't smoking or anything like that.

As well, when the oil filler cap was off, I believe I smelt a hint of fuel. I could be dreaming, but I thought I smelt some fuel in the oil. From what I read this could be petcock related or carb related. Where should I start? On the petcock, (I have teh vacuum operated one), which direction is ON and which direction is PRIME? I've only got a slot in mine, and the slot is horizontal when you're looking right at it. I can get a picture if need be.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 09:37 PM.

I should correct myself. I DID overfill the oil. On the centerstand, its over the F mark. Should I be draining the oil or should I just leave it as is? I took it for a ride around town and it didn't seem to smoke or anything out of the ordinary. Im just worried something will blow up :S
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djscottymiami View Post
      Spark plugs:

checked the plugs on my '80 GS850 and they seemed to be sooty (if that is even a word). The electrodes have a tad bit of discoloring at the tips. What kind of condition is this? I'm assuming it's running a tad bit rich since my exhaust isn't stock.

I checked my fuel economy today. I did 110km for 8.5L which works out to 30mpg. I want it to improve a bit.

Oil:

I think I accidentally over-filled the oil. I was checking the oil and noticed it was low. I added some oil and then realized that it was on the side stand and not the center stand I put it on the center stand and it's over the 'F' line. Is this ok? I took it for a ride to the gas station and it wasn't smoking or anything like that.

As well, when the oil filler cap was off, I believe I smelt a hint of fuel. I could be dreaming, but I thought I smelt some fuel in the oil. From what I read this could be petcock related or carb related. Where should I start? On the petcock, (I have teh vacuum operated one), which direction is ON and which direction is PRIME? I've only got a slot in mine, and the slot is horizontal when you're looking right at it. I can get a picture if need be.
      If it's dry and black, yes that is "sooty" and indicates a rich condition. I'd drain the extra oil. It will burn off eventually and not do a lot of real damage (if only a little overfilled), but it will smoke like a bitch while it does that. Way overfilled is no good for the engine I think.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        If it's dry and black, yes that is "sooty" and indicates a rich condition. I'd drain the extra oil. It will burn off eventually and not do a lot of real damage (if only a little overfilled), but it will smoke like a bitch while it does that. Way overfilled is no good for the engine I think.
        I took it for a ride and it didn't smoke. Even when I stopped and let it idle and revved it, no smoke came out. Would Just pulling out the drainplug for a few seconds and taking some out be better? I can do that this weekend most likely.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

overfilling the oil is not good, not even a little bit...

it wont cause major damage right away, but its not good to have the extra oil in there creating more resistance for the internals...

Comment

I took it for a ride and it didn't smoke. Even when I stopped and let it idle and revved it, no smoke came out. Would Just pulling out the drainplug for a few seconds and taking some out be better? I can do that this weekend most likely.
            Yep, I have done it, pull the plug, getting your hand covered with oil in the process and then put it back in and check.

Comment

I just went out to the garage to check really quickly. When the bike is on the side stand, the oil in the view window is a little bit below the 'F' mark. As I tip the bike over to equilibrium, it goes slightly over the view window. I havent terribly overfilled it... but I'm still thinking I should drain some. Should I just leave it as is if it's not smoking or doing anything odd or should I drain some still?

Comment

I just went out to the garage to check really quickly. When the bike is on the side stand, the oil in the view window is a little bit below the 'F' mark. As I tip the bike over to equilibrium, it goes slightly over the view window. I havent terribly overfilled it... but I'm still thinking I should drain some. Should I just leave it as is if it's not smoking or doing anything odd or should I drain some still?
                I'd drain it, take 5 minutes.

Comment

if thats all it is, i would leave it alone for now... if you notice anything different in the way it runs or if it starts smoking and stuff, drain it.

i would check for that fuel leak too..

pull the fuel hose and see if it is leaking slowly in the on, and res positions...

there is a prime position too which allows fuel to flow freely....

if its dripping at all without vacuum you need to change your oil and get the petcock fixed

Comment

If it's full, it will go over the top of the glass if you let it sit long enough for the oil to drain back down out of the head. Should be checked when on the centerstand and only a minute after it has been running.

Sounds like you didn't overfill it much, if you didn't damage anything already you probably won't.

But if you must lower the level, try sucking it out the filler hole with a thin hose. Beats the heck out of playing around with the drain plug.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

4 words for you my friend:

dollar store turkey baister.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                        4 words for you my friend:

dollar store turkey baister.
                        :-D:-D Waaaay better than a mouthful of oil :-D

Or use a long transparent tube so you can see the oil and stop before you get to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X