Along came a spider...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Along came a spider...

I don't even know where to begin with this but here goes. I had not been on my bike for a couple of days (weather etc.) and when I finally went to go for a spin I found that a spider had crawled INSIDE my speedometer and spun a web.

After furrowing my brow for a couple of minutes and wondering just how the little sucker got in there I thought Id go for a spin and (can I admit this?) hit the spider with the speedo needle. (I was bored and it seemed plausible) However due to the web the needle will not go past 35 MPH any more and the spider is still safe and sound as I write this.

I though I could just pop open the bezel, kill the pest and be on my way but there does not seem to be an easy way to do this. The Haynes manual does not give details into cracking open one's speedometer /odometer ( and rightly so) and I'm afaid of doing any damage to the guage or leaving any marks that may lead people to think I was screwing around with my odometer.

My only choice I see is to go ahead and open thing but I was hoping someone may have some advice as to the proper way of doing this. I have included a pict for your viewing pleasure. GO a head and laugh. I know I have and so have all of my friends

Oh yeah I own a 1980 GS 450 L. That may be important...

Comment

Speedo is sealed so as to discourage tampering. Some of us won't be dissuaded though.

On my 450 I pried off the metal ring to get inside the gauge. Bend bezel back down to seal it off after you do your business inside. Took some care but not a hard job. Bottom photo shows the gauge after it was finished - ring tweaking is not visible from front.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm thinking a bright sunny day and a BIG magnifying glass. FRY the sucker!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Burke View Post
          I'm thinking a bright sunny day and a BIG magnifying glass. FRY the sucker!
          Yes, that will be MUCH easier to clean up!
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Man that really sucks. The spider loses too because not too many flies are on the inside of the speedo.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              The spider loses too because not too many flies are on the inside of the speedo.

"If he builds it, they will come"?? 8-[

Comment

Be happy its not a Camel Spider

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Be happy its not a Camel Spider

A ten legged spider????
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Watch out. It may not be after flies in there but a safe place to have a family.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

jeff, you went COUNTING the legs on those

seriously, spray some insecticide inside the housing
                      then, use compressed air to clean up the mess

no idea if this would actually work, but the idea fits your story, i think :-D
                      GS850GT

Comment

I could be wrong but here goes. Spiders are supposed to eat the web if they don't catch anything and need to move on to better hunting grounds. Maybe if it doesn't get any food and remembers how to get back out you might not need to do a thing. I'm not sure if ALL spiders do that but I do know some will. Unless it dies in there lol

Comment

what if the spider moves into the tach next?

Originally posted by dennis roy View Post
                          I could be wrong but here goes. Spiders are supposed to eat the web if they don't catch anything and need to move on to better hunting grounds. Maybe if it doesn't get any food and remembers how to get back out you might not need to do a thing. I'm not sure if ALL spiders do that but I do know some will. Unless it dies in there lol
                          this is turning into a really hilarious thread

c'mon fellas... more ideas needed! :-D
                          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                            Watch out. It may not be after flies in there but a safe place to have a family.
                            Thats what I was thinking. Thats not a fly catching web. It an egg laying web.
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              A ten legged spider????
                              It looks to me like one spider hanging from another's bum.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X