cam chain adjuster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain adjuster question

I asked this question in another post, but I thought I would start it as a new topic for all to read.

I was messing with the cam chain adjuster last night and took it apart. The o-ring around the lock bolt looked like a piece of flat, hard plastic, and the one from the front where it bolts to the jugs is nowhere to be found. I think someone had it off before and didn't put it back. It has always seeped oil from the adjuster. I thing the missing and hardened o-rings are the reason. Does the front o-ring go between the jug and the gasket, or between the gasket and the adjuster?

Thanks,

Brandon

Throw it in the garbage and get a manual cam chain tensioner from APE, they are worth their weight in gold for $40. I believe they all use the same one, the 82 750 and 83 1100 use the same part.

Here is a link:

No more leaks, no more slopy cam chain. Install, loosen the locknut, turn the threaded rod untill it gets firm, back it off a half a turn, tighten the locknut. Done, once at the begining of riding season, once halfway through....you should be good to go.

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller
      Throw it in the garbage and get a manual cam chain tensioner..
      yeah.. couldn't agree more with Andre..

I've been messing with this automatic tensioner in the past too..
      I have replaced it several times and have taken it apart to renew the seals only to find it a complete waste of time as it kept leaking no matter what..

so eventually I also bought the manual tensioner from APE which I should've done in the first place..

the only thing the made me hesitate about the purchase at the time was the price which seemed excessive for such a simple device..
      (it's just a bit of ally with a large bolt and 2 nuts to lock it.. :roll: )

so on my "new" bike (katana 7/11) I just made an adjuster myself!

Comment

Hey guys, does any one make a manual tensioner for a 80 gs1000g
        Wrench.

Comment

Yeah it is a bit expensive for what it really is, but compared to a stock tensioner for $120; it's still a deal.

8) Andre 8)

Wrench, I think they are all the same...once you remove it; all it is a hole about 17mm in the cylinder block and two threaded mounting holes.

PM me, I have the stock tensioner that you could borrow to compare to yours, if it is the same you can get the APE part. They only list it for GS1100/GS1150, as this is the most popular drag bike motor.

Comment

Working...
          X