Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle problem. please please help.

ok so need some help guys.

i recently took my valve cover off to fix a oil leak and also to check valve clearance on my 1982 gs850. the bike has been sitting for a couple years has 50 thousand miles on it. and i just recently got it from a neighbor. had to rebuild the carbs and got it running again finally. so i have no air filter in it because i have no money and the original one was fully of oil. wasn't worth putting back in. also i have tried to rebalanced the carbs but i could have been doing it all wrong because i am still running across when starting cold that it bogs down when trying to throttle it. so i will get it started and adjust the idle on the carbs down to around 1200 go for a ride where the engine is nice and warm and the idle sits around 5000. am i doing something wrong. i have adjusted that idle down massively and yet it still sits really high. is something wrong with the mixture and thats the problem. have any of you guys had this problem.

i should also mention that i have changed the handles bars from the stock monkey type to a straight pole for a more streetfighter feel. that could be the problem.

shane
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM.

Mixture is way lean from not having any air filter, 850s are very susceptible to this. You must have some other air leaks to have it idle up so high.
    Did you at least do a bench synch to get all the throttles closing properly?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a similar issue (which I don't think will help you) but my bike 79 gs850 will idle up after it has been running for about 10 minutes. If I am on the road, it will continually increase in rpms if I have the clutch pressed in- the only way to avoid that is to let out on the clutch so the shaft will engage partially and then it idles normally. I know this is not good on the clutch. It did not do this before the carbs were cleaned- it actually ran okay. So, I adjusted the idle down but have not been back on it as I have a few other things to finish up.

j razz

Comment

Jrazz thats what mine does. just really annoying and loud. tkent02, i need to get a air cleaner and thats on the list for the next thing. where could there be air leaks and could you explain what do you mean by bench sync. i synced them i think when i was running the bike at idle? but i could have done it wrong and that was with the old air cleaner with oil all over it.

Shane

Comment

Check the Bass Cliff site and In The Garage.

At a minimum, you need:

1. Adjust the valves
          2. New intake O rings (between intake boots and cylinder head)
          3. Probably new intake boots
          4. Air filter

Bench synch is checking the slide movement while carbs are off the bike. Did you use a vacuum carb tool to sync your carbs while it is running?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

same problem on my 650

I changed the boot o-rings and the problem went away......super cheap and easy fix....

Comment

Not positive about an '82, but your air cleaner, if it is the foam type is supposed to have oil on it. The oil helps to trap sirt particles and all that crud you dont want down your intake.

Comment

Another thing you will want to examine after fixing all the mechanical parts is your starting technique. You said:
                when starting cold that it bogs down when trying to throttle it
                Proper technique when starting the bike (assuming it has been ridden within the last few days) is:
                1. Move choke lever to full choke. (Later you will find the "sweet spot" that will allow starting the bike withour racing the engine.)
                2. Pull clutch lever (unless this feature has been disabled)
                3. Turn ignition key to ON position
                4. Press START button
                5. Do NOT touch the throttle grip
                6. Adjust idle speed (no need to go over 2500) with choke lever
                7. Put your helmet on
                8. Ride
                9. By the time you get into third gear, you should be able to turn choke OFF.

All of the previous poster's ideas are also correct. You need to have a filter in the airbox. The airbox needs to be sealed, except for the intended openings. The intake boots need to be in good condition and they need good o-rings between them and the head. The carbs need to be CLEAN. The valves need to be adjusted. By the way, even on a perfectly-carbureted bike, if the valves are tight, it will be a BEAR to start. Once the valves are correct, you will think you have a new bike, because it starts SO easily.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i know that it was to have some oil but this thing was coverd. because there was too much in the crankcase and it back flushed. pluss the filter would fall apart if i just touched it.

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by SDK View Post
                    ok so need some help guys.

i should also mention that i have changed the handles bars from the stock monkey type to a straight pole for a more streetfighter feel. that could be the problem.

shane
                    Just a suggestion, but make sure that you have enough cable for the handlebars you have. If it is too short, you are going to be running at part throttle, even though you haven't turned on the throttle grip. You should have some play in the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                    X