Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs 1100e

Hey!
    I have a 82 gs 1100e and I would like to put pods on the carbs and keep the original exhaust. Should I jet the carbs a little higher? Your experience and opinion would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!!!

Are these K&N pods or something else? Jetting requirements will vary.

What is your motivation for installing the pods? If you are keeping the stock pipe, I get the impression that it's not for the power increase, so why go to all the trouble of possible jetting problems just for "the look" of pods?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just for the look , just cheap ebay pods

Comment

You will need to raise the jet needle, go up on the main jet, come out on the idle mixture screws and possibly go up on the pilot jet.
        You will determine the jetting through plug chops.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Any idea on how many notches on the needles and how many steps up on the jets? Ballpark!
          Thanks...

Comment

If you are keeping the stock exhaust(which I can't understand but to each their own) the needles will start in the middle clip position & 1.5-2 turns out on the mixture screws. I am guessing in the neighborhood of 118-125 on the main jets. Just follow the baseline settings in the instructions & go from there as needed. If it were ME, I would put a V&H pipe on the thing & be done with it. Ray.

Comment

Thought the stock needles are not adjustable, other than using shim washers?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by pullerpat View Post
                Hey!
                I would like to put pods on the carbs
                It will make it alot easier to get to the battery. Dont throw away the front and rear airboxes. IMHO youll probably want to put them back on and return it to stock.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  It will make it alot easier to get to the battery. Dont throw away the front and rear airboxes. IMHO youll probably want to put them back on and return it to stock.
                  I never did. I threw that fvcker as far as I could.

Get a Dynojet jetting kit and as Ray said a 4-1 pipe. The pods alone won't do much but be a pita to jet. It can be done though.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    I'll give you my tired old speech.

The stock CV carbs were carefully calibrated at the factory to work with a certain amount of vacuum. Part of that vacuum is supplied by the shape of the airbox and density of the filtering element. In other words, they function as a unit. Your bike will probably never run as well with pods as it will stock. That is why used airboxes are in high demand.

Go back thru some of the re-jetting threads and look at the many hours of frustration owners have gone thru just to make the bike run CLOSE to stock after installing pods and exhausts. Almost invariably, once it runs OK the gas mileage goes down.

Don't say you haven't been warned...

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                      I'll give you my tired old speech.

The stock CV carbs were carefully calibrated at the factory to work with a certain amount of vacuum. Part of that vacuum is supplied by the shape of the airbox and density of the filtering element. In other words, they function as a unit. Your bike will probably never run as well with pods as it will stock. That is why used airboxes are in high demand.

Go back thru some of the re-jetting threads and look at the many hours of frustration owners have gone thru just to make the bike run CLOSE to stock after installing pods and exhausts. Almost invariably, once it runs OK the gas mileage goes down.

Don't say you haven't been warned...
                      My bike runs freakin great with pods. Jet it right and it will run right.
                      The slides are drilled to make up for the extra air flow.
                      I understand that some people want to install and go and don't have the patience for this but it can be done.

Comment

I switched back and re-installed my airbox. I have to say at least for my bike , it idled much better and is much smoother with it back on. I may have lost a bit on the top end but it sure runs nice. \\/

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          My bike runs freakin great with pods. Jet it right and it will run right.
                          The slides are drilled to make up for the extra air flow.
                          I understand that some people want to install and go and don't have the patience for this but it can be done.
                          I'm happy for you, but in this case I can't see going thru the trouble just for appearances. I mean does he really want to drill the carb slides, buy jet kits, spend hours, maybe get worse gas mileage? Your bike appears to be an '80 model without the CV carbs - that makes a big difference in this discussion.

I would guess most late model GS owners with pods put them on without knowing the consequences. After all, it can easily be done with most other bikes. I just want him to know what he's getting into.

I don't mean to offend the pod people.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I have CV carbs. The motor I have is the same as his. (Slightly modded )

Comment

Working...
                            X