The damn letters are YEAR CODES. Duh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The damn letters are YEAR CODES. Duh.

After reading this gentleman's thoughtful history/tech spec page on the GS850G, I have finally figured out that the Z, T, N, etc. after the "GS850G" designation is a YEAR CODE.

For instance, my 1982 GS850G is actually a GS850GZ, the "Z" denoting that it's an 82. So when I go to Bikebandit, that's what I'm lookin fer.

Duhhh.

Originally posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
    After reading this gentleman's thoughtful history/tech spec page on the GS850G, I have finally figured out that the Z, T, N, etc. after the "GS850G" designation is a YEAR CODE.

For instance, my 1982 GS850G is actually a GS850GZ, the "Z" denoting that it's an 82. So when I go to Bikebandit, that's what I'm lookin fer.

Duhhh.
    Yes indeed. Many times you'll see folks here refer to thier bike as an 1100EX. No need to say it's an '81, the "X" tells you that. Actually, the date code info is here as well, with even more info: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Okay, I am a little confused. I have my VIN number and when I bought the bike, I was told it was a 1979. When I looked up the bike in my Haynes book, it should the 79 model being a GLT and it gave the production month as being something like Sept-November of 79. Now, when I look up 79 models, there are no GLT's. There are 80 GLT's though. So, how can I find out for certian if my bike is a 79 or an 80 that was built in 79? I do not have the owners manual, original papers. The title does say 79 but when giving the model it says GS85 and the rest is cut off (that's how they do titles here).

j razz

Comment

Look at the vin plate on the steering stem.

Earl

Originally posted by jrazz View Post
        Okay, I am a little confused. I have my VIN number and when I bought the bike, I was told it was a 1979. When I looked up the bike in my Haynes book, it should the 79 model being a GLT and it gave the production month as being something like Sept-November of 79. Now, when I look up 79 models, there are no GLT's. There are 80 GLT's though. So, how can I find out for certian if my bike is a 79 or an 80 that was built in 79? I do not have the owners manual, original papers. The title does say 79 but when giving the model it says GS85 and the rest is cut off (that's how they do titles here).

j razz
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I believe if it was built the second half of 1979 then it will be an '80. It will say the month built on your vin tag.

Comment

From the page Jethro posted above:

Keep in mind that the year the bike was built does not have to match the model year!

It all depends on what time of the year the bike was built. For instance, if a bike is built in November of 1982, it could actually be a 1983 model year bike. The easiest way to clear this situation up is if you were the original owner and kept the original papers and owners manual. Of course, this probably isn't always the case.
            This information was based on info I had, along with data I extracted from our current registration database. While my information should be very complete, there is a chance that a model does not show up in the chart. This is especially true of special Suzuki import models."

Originally posted by jrazz View Post

j razz

Comment

I read the above before I posted and that is what made me ask. In his statement he said a key word "could". "...could actually be a 1983..." So it could be an 82 or it could be an 83.

Will the VIN plate have more than just the VIN? The VIN does not have a date in it as far as I can tell. I will look this evening.

j razz

Comment

VIN plate on the steering stem will have the manufacture date. If the plate isn't present it is still possible to use the VIN to determine if it is a 79 or 89.

What is the 10th number of your VIN?

Comment

If you can't tell by the VIN number, as it may only give the build date and not the model, Z,X, whatever, then you can often tell by comparing fiches online. There will often be a difference in air filters, carbs, etc. between models. May take a while comparing pictures but it can sometimes be done. For instance all '79 model have VM carbs and all '80 have BS carbs. Often brake rotor sizes and other stuff are different between models.

Comment

Vehicles often sit for a few months between when they come off the production line and when they go into the dealers showrooms (transport, storage etc). This is why the dates are off. It was built six months ago but it is the current model. Otherwise the dealers would often be selling 'last years' model and that doesn't look good to the public.

Comment

Working...
                    X