Bent Swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent Swingarm

Last week I had one of my Rear Wheel sprocket Bearings go on me, and the spinning axle chewed up my tensioner a bit. Well I got a new tensioner and new bearing and put everything back together last night and I swear my swing arm must have gotten bent a bit, because on the Chain/Clutch side, the Swing Arm is touching the frame, but on the Caliper side it is not. The swing arm just looks a little canted to the left when I look from the rear of the bike.

Anyone have a picture available of there rear swing arm or any ideas?

Guess, I'll start pricing out a new one and take the bike for a short ride to see if it rides straight!!

78 GS 750.

Canted to the left compared to what?

The swingarm is probably the strongest portion of the frame, so it's more likely that the portion of the frame touching the swingarm is bent. The entire area of the frame where the swingarm pivot goes thru would have to be bent if the swingarm ia canted in the frame.

Start by using a long piece if string, some duct tape and a measuring tape or ruler to check wheel alignment. If the wheel are aligned (or nearly so), the frame is bent.

and how did you manage to break a sprocket bearing?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      how did you manage to break a sprocket bearing?
      Not sure really, I was riding along the other day, having a good time, I noticed my rear wheel felt wobbly when shifting. Well I pull over and my rear axle is red hot and my chain side tensioner is eaten up pretty good. Took the tire off and the wheel bearings themselves were fine, it was the bigger sprocket bearing that was toast.

Canted to the left compared to what?
      My rear tire just does not look straight with the tail and taillight and my chain side rear shock looks a few degrees liek this /
      and my Caliper side shock looks more straight |

Does the swing arm on the chain side almost touch the frame when no load is on the bike? but it is a good centimeter from the frame on the caliper side?

I just took it for a few mile ride, and it rode & felt fine, perhaps I am just being paranoid...

This weekend I'll take a few pics...

Comment

If your swingarm was bent as much as you're thinking it is, it would put your track alignment SEVERELY out and you would KNOW it was messed up. Being even SLIGHTLY out of track can make the bike feel wobley, but a cm bent at the front side of the swingarm translates to probably about 3 cms by the time it reaches the back of the swingarm. Thats ALOT.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts...

I am hoping nothing is wrong, as I said, I'll take some pics this weekend when the sun comes out and see what you folks think....

Comment

Originally posted by peterpressure View Post
            Not sure really, I was riding along the other day, having a good time, I noticed my rear wheel felt wobbly when shifting. Well I pull over and my rear axle is red hot and my chain side tensioner is eaten up pretty good. Took the tire off and the wheel bearings themselves were fine, it was the bigger sprocket bearing that was toast.

My rear tire just does not look straight with the tail and taillight and my chain side rear shock looks a few degrees liek this /
            and my Caliper side shock looks more straight |

Does the swing arm on the chain side almost touch the frame when no load is on the bike? but it is a good centimeter from the frame on the caliper side?

I just took it for a few mile ride, and it rode & felt fine, perhaps I am just being paranoid...

This weekend I'll take a few pics...
            I'd be taking off the seat, sidecovers and gas tank and see how things line up from front to back

Sounds like the bike has been crashed. Do you know it's history?

Also, it sounds like you overtightened your chain. I'd be replacing the rear wheel bearings ,also
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'd be taking off the seat, sidecovers and gas tank and see how things line up from front to back

Sounds like the bike has been crashed. Do you know it's history?

Also, it sounds like you overtightened your chain. I'd be replacing the rear wheel bearings ,also
              I do not know the history, another 300$ special...

The bike rides great, took it up on the highway, a little bit of a shake when letting off the throttle between 55-65 mph, but above 65 or below 55 it feels smooth. I left the chain at .8-1 inch of slack.

I'll remove the tank and sidecovers tomorrow weather permitting for soem pics.... Thanks for the help guys...

Comment

Working...
              X