Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650g Air Filter

Hey folks,

I just picked up my second GS yesterday...
    its an '82 GS650g. Its running, but its been sitting for a while...so I'm doing the usual carb cleaning and gasket replacing for this type of situation.

Now on to my question:
    The stock air filter on this particular bike disintegrated when I touched it (like cotton candy). I went looking for a K&N, but my dealer told me K&N doesn't make an air filter for this particular model (they have them for other gs650's from this year, but none for the g model).

Does anyone know of an aftermarket filter for this bike?
    I'd prefer to keep the stock air box and not use pods.

Thanks,
    -gammer

Originally posted by gammer73 View Post
    Hey folks,

I just picked up my second GS yesterday...
    its an '82 GS650g. Its running, but its been sitting for a while...so I'm doing the usual carb cleaning and gasket replacing for this type of situation.

Now on to my question:
    The stock air filter on this particular bike disintegrated when I touched it (like cotton candy). I went looking for a K&N, but my dealer told me K&N doesn't make an air filter for this particular model (they have them for other gs650's from this year, but none for the g model).

Does anyone know of an aftermarket filter for this bike?
    I'd prefer to keep the stock air box and not use pods.

Thanks,
    -gammer
    I've read in other threads that UNI makes sheets of foam you can use to make your own filter. IIRC, you can use a hot glue gun to bond the pieces together. An auto parts store or small engine repair shop (lawnmowers, etc.) should be able to hook you up.

That is, if one of the several very helpful on-line retailers can't help you. My 850 has a UNI filter in it, so maybe they make one for yours too.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Doesn't make sense to build your own filter, or get an Uni, when you can just get a stock filter for $25 and be done with it.
      Last edited by Nessism; 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        How much does a stock filter cost? Doesn't make sense to build your own filter, or get an Uni, when you can just get a stock filter and be done with it.

Actually, I just checked Bike Bandit and they have stock air filters avail.

I will check with my local Canadian Suzuki dealer to see what they can do.

Comment

Yep, local dealer has stock filters and they are in stock....hey thats a pun!

I almost feel silly for even starting this thread...almost.

Comment

Uni makes a foam replacement filter specifically for 650g and gl model. Stock unit is foam, have one of both, no opinion as to which is better. Uni is a little less money. Kinda fun installing clips on airbox especially with oily hands.;-)

Comment

Those clips are a royal pain !
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...