Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

still wont start with out assitance from my car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
    ok so I just replaced the battery and charged it on a trickle charger and then I tryed it on the bike and it started right up. but the bike may have been a little warm inside but not on the outside. but I still cant drive it yet cause I took it for a spin today and one of those little black half circle things that are sitting between the valve cover and the top casing of the engine, popped out with in the little crome circle covers. and oil was flying all over my leg and bike.

can i just replace them or do I have to jimmy rig it back in with like a puddy?

any who I am gunna try it tomorrow and see what what happens hopefully she starts right up after sitting over night.
    You can replace them. theyre like 5 bucks or so online

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      There is absolutely NO advantage of using 'premium' gas in a stock GS engine.
      Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      You say that but MY GS will tell you otherwise, mine hates regular unleaded so I give it the good stuff to keep it happy.
      +1 My bike pings when it's hot out and generally runs poorly on regular, but runs great on premium. My 550L was the same way. There have been several debates over this through the years but facts are facts ... There is absolutely a DEFINITE advantage to using premium gas in a stock GS engine IF your bike demonstrates an improvement using one over the other. I don't ever put anything but premium in mine...

Now, with regard to hard starting on the 550, mine has ALWAYS behaved exactly the same way - hard starting when cold, but starts right up when warm AND runs perfectly when warmed up. There are several threads that mention "puffing" into the breather hose on the carbs. This supposedly is like pressing the "prime" bulb on a lawnmower, and gives the motor a "shot" of fuel before you crank it over. Another suggestion that has worked for me is to switch the gas tank to "prime" and wait ten seconds before cranking. This helps get possibly low float bowls filled with gas during startup. Once the bike is running, remember to switch the petcock back to the "run" position.

One other thing ... on my 550 you don't want to touch the throttle at all, AND the choke cable has to be pulled completely out - otherwise the bike simply won't start cold.

Try these things and you'll probably find the bike more cooperative, assuming everything else is in order.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
      X