chain guard bolts - 79GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain guard bolts - 79GS1000

Okay, got a highly technical question here :-D...
    I have searched the forums, looked at hundreds of bike photos in the gallery, but cannot seem to find the answer...

Since my little rebuilding project has now spread over months, I cannot remember how the chainguard attaches back onto the frame (wow do I feel like an idiot). The forward bolt is obvious, but I have one long bolt (maybe 2 inches) and a metal washer, plus a short bolt (maybe 0.5 inches) plus a metal spacer, rubber washer, and metal washer, left over in my parts bin. I think the longer bolt and one washer came out of the lower hole above the rear axle, but how the @#$%#@ does the small bolt fasten onto the larger rear hole up above the lower hole? And how does this support the plastic chaincase? Am I missing a bracket? Missing a nut?

I am sure this is obvious if only my poor overworked grey cells could function, and when someone straightens me out, I will probably want to hit my head with a deadblow hammer.....
    thanks guys, I must be brain dead on Friday....

Sounds like you're missing the flat metal plate that helps reinforce the plastic chain guard. Check the parts diagrams at Alpha Sports or Bike Bandit and you'll see it.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      Sounds like you're missing the flat metal plate that helps reinforce the plastic chain guard. Check the parts diagrams at Alpha Sports or Bike Bandit and you'll see it.
      I agree with Sandy, I happen to have my chain guard off right now and have a few pics...

Comment

Okay, thanks, that explains it. I must have misplaced the reinforcing plate. Time to start moving boxes of stuff around and hunt for it. Can you tell me if the two bolts just screw into that plate/does the plate have nuts mounted on it?

Thanks again for the speedy response.

Comment

Originally posted by geewiz View Post
          Okay, thanks, that explains it. I must have misplaced the reinforcing plate. Time to start moving boxes of stuff around and hunt for it. Can you tell me if the two bolts just screw into that plate/does the plate have nuts mounted on it?

Thanks again for the speedy response.
          2 nuts mounted on the plate

Comment

Working...
          X