Gas Tank Venting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank Venting Problems

Hello! I finally got my 1980 GS850GT back together after a new paint job and filled it with gas. After running for 25 miles it started missing and acting as though it was running out of gas. It then stopped running. I switched the select from main to reserve and it started right up and I drove home. I thought that I might have a bad petcock since it has been slowly dripping gas so I replaced it with a Pingel unit. After I installed the Pingel I put about 3 gallons of gas in it and drove about five minutes before it quit again with the same symptoms as last time. I put another gallon of gas in it and it started right up and I drove it home. I think it may be vapore locking up. Has anyone else had this problem? I think the gas tank cap should vent the tank and there is also an overflow tube which may vent the tank. This has been a very good running bike until now and any advise would be appreciatied!
    Terry

Take the gas cap apart and clean it.

Comment

try driving around with the gas tank cap slightly open. If the problem persists you know it's not a venting problem

Comment

If your gas line is too short you could be kinking it during installation. The Suzuki gas line wasn't readily available in town so I replaced mine with 5/16 fuel injection line for the fuel and a 7/32 windshield washer line for the vacuum.

My symptoms where a good idle but no throttle response after warming up for a while. Bad fumes where another problem with a lack of gas.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X