No Spark on #2 & #3 1980 GS750LT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark on #2 & #3 1980 GS750LT

I was riding my 1980 GS750LT last fall, when it sputtered a few times, then died. It would not restart, or even fire. I had to trailer it home. I finally got around to working on it a month or so ago, and found that I had spark on #1 & #4, but not on #2 & #3. I thought the coil was bad, so I took it to The Rice Paddy in Columbus, Ohio to get a used one. They tested mine, and said it was good. Later, I tried another, with no spark. I made jumpers to connect the 1&4 wiring to the 2&3 coil, and got spark. I have checked the continuity of both wires going to the 2&3 coil, and both were OK.

I checked the resistance of the signal generator, and it is in spec.

I did the ignitor test using a 1.5V battery, and got no spark from either plug wire (3&4).

It seems like the ignitor is bad, but I'm hesitant to buy one without knowing for sure. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks.

You need to replace the signal generator as the 2/3 pickup has gone bad. I would recommend you just replace it with a Dyna S plate & be done with it! Ray.

Comment

Just buy a Dyna S ignition for it. The Dyna replaces the stock crankshaft triggers and the stock ignitor module at about 1/3 the price of stock parts.
      (the stock crank triggers and ignitor go directly to trashcan :-) )

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you conclude that you need an igniter I have one that will work on your bike.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'd like to fix the bike spending as little money as possible, as I'll probably try to sell it soon. I may try to find a replacement signal generator first, as it is less expensive.

If I go with the Dyna ignition, is this what I need?

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

I got the bike running, and despite having sat for about 8 months, it' s actually running pretty well (after I remembered to put the air box back on!).

Bill (chef1366) sold me a used ignitor and signal generator at a very good price, and shipped it very quickly. I installed the ignitor first, as it is the easiest, and it fixed the problem.

But, as my luck goes, now that it's running, the starter button quit working yesterday! I haven't had time to look at that yet.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X