Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Relay Mod

Yes, I searched.

Could someone give me a better idea of how this is wired up?

36-Power
    85-Ground
    86-Trigger
    87-Coils

Is that right? If so, what's the 'trigger' wire?

Do you just cut the two orange/white wires coming out of the coils, wire them together and plug them into 87? Do you leave the rest of it taped off and empty?

Bike is in sig, any help would be great. Just dont want to screw this up.

Actually, that "36" is really a "30", but who's counting?

Use a 12- or 14-gauge wire from the battery, through a fuse to #30.

Connect one of the orange/white coil wires to #86. Tape the other one so it does not contact anything else.

Connect a wire from #85 to ground.

Connect a wire from #87 to both coils (this can be 14- or 16-gauge wire), to the terminals where you removed the orange/white wires.

Everybody thinks that relays are "mystery devices". Humbug. All they are is a remote-control switch. You turn on your key, which turns on the power to the coil (orange/white wire). That turns on the relay, which then passes current directly from the battery to the coils, bypassing all the skinny wires and corroded connections in the stock wiring harness. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks.

My other question is this: On my coils, there isnt a place to clip on the new wire, the orange/white wire is glued on. Is it a problem to run the full 12V from the battery through this wire?

Comment

ah you have the economy coils suzuki switched around.

on those you cut the orange wire about midway back to the plug and butt connect wire to control on relay and butt connect wire from relay to coils.

Comment

Good Deal.

Thanks man.

Comment

Does it matter if the relay is the waterproof model

or the regular, Bosch type model

??????

I need to order these ASAP and I'd like to buy the right ones the first time.

Thanks.

Comment

Shouldn't matter if you have it tucked up under the tank near the coils. Even behind the side covers the non waterproof one should be fine.... No more vulnerable than everything else behind there!!

Steve, thanks for the Black & White explanation. I was pretty sure that I was reading the diag correctly but that really brings it home. Going to do this one on the G in the next week or so. See if I can get the coils running more than 10V. As it starts & runs pretty well right now, guess mine will be another one like Bill's & start before I even open the garage door

By the way - I recommend buying 2 relays & keeping one taped or bolted somewhere on the bike as a spare. It's not unknown for relays to go bad.

Cheers,

Dan
              Last edited by salty_monk; 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah, I don't have waterproof, several rain rides with no problems. It's zip tied to the spine by the wiring harness.

Comment

I always laugh Salty because I'm a fan of the band black flag, and one record has some radio promos where they are playing in Redondo Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Shouldn't matter if you have it tucked up under the tank near the coils. Even behind the side covers the non waterproof one should be fine.... No more vulnerable than everything else behind there!!

By the way - I recommend buying 2 relays & keeping one taped or bolted somewhere on the bike as a spare. It's not unknown for relays to go bad.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks. Didn't think it would but I wanted to be sure. I second the idea of keeping a spare handy. I'm ordering 3. One for the coils, one for the headlight and a spare. I already have one for the horns.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a good blade fuse block to replace the OEM ? I'm still running the buss fuses and would like to switch. Even better would be a mini-blade fuse block.

Don

Comment

These guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Flag_(band)

Never heard of them... the beach boys were from round here too....
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Got my relays, in-line fuses etc from here. Not sure if they do block.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                          Thanks. Didn't think it would but I wanted to be sure. I second the idea of keeping a spare handy. I'm ordering 3. One for the coils, one for the headlight and a spare. I already have one for the horns.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a good blade fuse block to replace the OEM ? I'm still running the buss fuses and would like to switch. Even better would be a mini-blade fuse block.

Don
                          You can get a basic one for $7.99 at any auto parts store. It will be ganged together and require a separate inline for your always on wire. The fit is pretty nice. I have seen very nice ones online in the 50 or 60 buck range.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            These guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Flag_(band)

Never heard of them... the beach boys were from round here too....
                            haha, got to love Black Flag

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                              You can get a basic one for $7.99 at any auto parts store. It will be ganged together and require a separate inline for your always on wire. The fit is pretty nice. I have seen very nice ones online in the 50 or 60 buck range.

I thought so too but so far no luck at the stores around me. $50-60 is robbery for a fuse block. Good grief, what's that made of? Gold ?

Comment

Working...
                              X