Coil Relay Mod - Done. Vid inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Relay Mod - Done. Vid inside.

If any wants to know if this is something that should be done or not, um, yeah, do it.

This should be the second mod all GS riders do after direct grounding the R/R.

I didnt take a vid of it starting before, but it was NEVER this quick.

Best mod I've done to it yet, and it was a 4 dollar 10 minute job.

Do it. Do it now.

Vid:

Check out how quick it starts and how dead smooth it revs and idles.

(Dunno how to embed video)

wow that is impressive..

i have a spare relay laying in my garage, maybe Ill do this today while i have it all apart to install my new intake boots and oil cooler.....

Comment

I'm lost. What was done exactly? I guess I need a diagram.

Scott

Comment

yay to Groundshock! I did this coil mod before I tore into my carbs last time. BTW, although the carbs were relatively clean, they were seriously unbalanced, and my petcock had taken a dump. Even with all that, the first time I tried to start the bike after doing this mod was just like the video. Half a crank and it fired up smooth! As was remarked in one of the threads several months ago, there have probably been countless carb tinkerings done because of the weak spark, not the carbs or their air/fuel delivery.

Comment

Other possible contributing items were that the carbs were cleaned up over winter, redneck style (carb cleaner sprayed in float bowls and blown clean with air, thats all), R/R direct ground, and all bullet connectors are replaced with spade connectors.

It still has a tick of a stumble and vibrates the bars at 50ish mph, but I beleive that's due to jetting/still dirty/unsynched carb issues.

Regardless of that, I picked 1.5V at the coils and it made a noticeable difference, especially starting and warming up.

Comment

Mine starts like that w/out the mod. I might do it anyway because I get bored easily and am running out of things to do.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by scottsgs View Post
              I'm lost. What was done exactly? I guess I need a diagram.

Scott
              Here ya go.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey, Cliff, I sent ya an e-mail on this.

For Scottsgs, here is a corrected diagram (the clutch switch is not part of the ignition circuit, it's in the starter circuit).

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Mine starts like that w/out the mod. I might do it anyway because I get bored easily and am running out of things to do.

The best motivational reason on this forum to date!

Comment

Hey fellas - the post titles on a search for "Coil Relay Mod" were too all over the map for me to find what I was looking for.

Can any of you guys tell me or point me to a thread that gives instructions on how to get baseline readings so I can check all these voltages before and after?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Perhaps it will start even faster. Like, before you push the button.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        That's right. Better keep it neutral when you park it. Once you do the mod just entering the garage should fire it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                          The best motivational reason on this forum to date!
                          Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                          That's right. Better keep it neutral when you park it. Once you do the mod just entering the garage should fire it up.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

wow..

the direction these threads goes sometimes is incredible....

Comment

ESP Remote start!

Comment

Working...
                              X