1980 GS1000L restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000L restoration

hi.turns out it is a 1980 L model not a 81 as I first said. after i cleaned the carbs and put in new plugs and changed 2 plug caps, she runs well. the oil leak i mentioned is the cam chain adjuster. can gasket maker be used or should i order a new gasket for it? i need a seat and a speedo for it because glass is broke. what other models seats will fit? need the side panels for it also.heres a pic as she was brought home. will update pics when restoration progress.

on ebay theres a seat from a 81 gs450L. will that fit my bike?

Comment

Originally posted by firecat View Post
      on ebay theres a seat from a 81 gs450L. will that fit my bike?
      No chance that seat will fit. Sorry.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

you may find an 79-81 "L" seat from an 850 will fit. Maybe a 750 L model from 80 -82 might fit as well. How does yours mount and where are the hinges and lock?

Comment

no hinges, frame has 2 tabs welded on front so seat slides in and lock is at the back

Comment

I have a speedo.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

no hinges, frame has 2 tabs welded on front so seat slides in and lock is at the back
              K, then there are a couple options that will work. My 82 1100G has the same set up. The pans may be different lengths, and the 82 and up 850 uses the same set up. I will measure my front tab to rear lock distance, and let you know. That way, you can find one of those seats that might work for you. I think the 82 850L seat works the same way.

Comment

ok thanks. and chef1366 i c you have k+n pods on your 1100, i have a set, what did you jet to with them pods?

Comment

ok thanks. and chef1366 i c you have k+n pods on your 1100, i have a set, what did you jet to with them pods?
                  Diferent type of bike. Mine is a sixteen valve and you have an eight valve.
                  The jet kit is different. I did jet Saltymonks 80 GS1000 with a dynojet kit.
                  Do you have a 4-1 pipe?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

so its coming along slowly, heres a pic after the tank was painted yesterday. seat is from yamaha roadking that i got for 50 bucks.

Comment

the oil leak i mentioned is the cam chain adjuster. can gasket maker be used or should i order a new gasket for it?
                      If it's the gasket between the adjuster and the cylinder that's leaking you can just cut one out of paper. You may as well replace the seals in the adjuster while you are in there. Since you have to order the seals anyway, you might as well order the gasket as well.
                      Catch 22?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice adaptation on the seat.

By the way, you also have the standard G model mufflers on there. I think they have a nicer, quieter sound.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

what types of mods did you have to do to get the roadking seat to fit on there? thats a similiar look that im going for on the 82 1100GL that im going for.

Comment

man, that seat looks great on there. I'll have to remember that!

Comment

wow that seat does look killer on there.....

nice

Comment

Working...
                              X