1980 GS1100L oil LEAKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100L oil LEAKS

I recently picked up a 1980 GS1100L sold to me for a great price due to its leaky engine. It was obviously leaking from both the valve cover and the head gasket. Replacing both of these gaskets stopped those leaks; but not all the leaks. It is still leaking from the cam chain tensioner and a mystery leak from between the #3 and #4 cylinders. The leak from between the cylinders runs down the cooling fin just above the base gasket. Could this be running down the cylinder bolt from the head? or shooting up from the base gasket? Thanks in advance.
    - Tom

I think you have it spot on

Tom,
    I rebuilt my '80 GS750L last year because of the same sorts of problems. If you have the 16V motor which is similar to the 16V 750, both of the spots you mentioned are leak prone if not with proper gaskets and torque. Try replacing the gasket on the cam chain tensioner as you mentioned (that one can be made rather easily), and check the torque on the bolt in the center that runs between the cylinders and the head (the one that points upward, on the front of the motor.) I can explain further which one I mean, but I think we're both talking about the same thing. Just be careful on torque with that one. I've seen those break a number of times - thankly never on me!

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I might be better off replacing the base gasket also. Are there any pitfalls to be careful of when removing the cylinder block? Do the ring gaps have to be aligned the same as they were when I put the block back on?

Comment

when removing the cylinders, remember to 1st remove cam chain guide in front of engine and when reassembling stagger the upper and lower oil control rings and try not bang the piston skirts around too much
        Best of Luck

Comment

A lot of the GS's have an o-ring at the base of the liner and these need to be replaced every time they are disturbed or otherwise you get oil seeping from the base of the cylinder block.
          Dink

Comment

Blown head gasket

When I bought my GS1100GZ it leaked oil (and gas) real bad. Blown head gasket. It was not all that expensive at all to tear down and rebuild to like new condition. Very much worth the inexpensive purchase price and the repair expenses.
            GY

Comment

Working...
            X