new member needs help with no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new member needs help with no spark

I have just boughten a 81 gs450 from my friend for 100 dollars. When i bought it i knew that it need work. He was out riding it and it died on him and he was not able to ever get it to start. Since i got it, I have put in a new battery and spark plugs, I have power going to the starter and power to the horn but thats it, The headlight and the turn signals won't work and i have to spark, we thought maybe it was a fuse but all are okay, we used a digital voltmeter and everything has power to it, I have been told that it is probably my ignition box. Can anybody thing of anything else that it could be, i don't really want to spend allot on a new ignition box? The part no. on the box is 32900-47020

Re: new member needs help with no spark

Try removing the fuel tank and with the ignition switch turned on, take the multi meter (set to 0-20v scale) and put its positive lead on one of your coils + terminal. Put the negative lead of the multimeter on battery negative. If your coils have power to them you will read about 12 volts.
    If the voltage is zero, then your ignition circuit is not powered up.

Earl

quote="jleach"]I have just boughten a 81 gs450 from my friend for 100 dollars. When i bought it i knew that it need work. He was out riding it and it died on him and he was not able to ever get it to start. Since i got it, I have put in a new battery and spark plugs, I have power going to the starter and power to the horn but thats it, The headlight and the turn signals won't work and i have to spark, we thought maybe it was a fuse but all are okay, we used a digital voltmeter and everything has power to it, I have been told that it is probably my ignition box. Can anybody thing of anything else that it could be, i don't really want to spend allot on a new ignition box? The part no. on the box is 32900-47020[/quot
    e]
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I no longer have a voltmeter, i only have a test light, is there anyway i can still test things to see if they are working, when we were working on it before by jumping the solenoid, the coils were getting work like they getting a charge.

Comment

I no longer have a voltmeter, i only have a test light, is there anyway i can still test things to see if they are working, when we were working on it before by jumping the solenoid, the coils were getting work like they getting a charge.

Comment

Realistically, NO. Three or four volts input to the coils would light a test light bulb, but your ignition system will not work on that voltage.

Earl

Originally posted by jleach

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl, so if i test the coils and they have enough juice does that mean i need to buy that ignition box

Comment

NO, it means that if you have aproximately 12 volts going to the input side of your coils, then your ignition wiring is good up to that point. You would next want to check the output side of the coils to see what is coming out and then you would check the leads on your ignitor box to see if they test withing specs. A stock ignitor box is about $500 if I remember correctly and you dont want to buy one of them on a guess. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jleach
              Thanks Earl, so if i test the coils and they have enough juice does that mean i need to buy that ignition box

Comment

Working...
              X