tail light stays on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tail light stays on

when I turn my ignition key to the wheel lock position my tail light stays on, I had to find this out the hard way, and when I got back to my bike the battery was dead, also does my 77 gs550 have a fuse block, because I have not seen one

Sounds like you turned it to the "park" position...not "lock". My 850 has both and I bet your 550 does as well. The "park" position I believe locks the steering but also leaves the taillight on....the thought being that if you need to park it on the side of the road at night it is sorta like hazard lights on your car. :? :? :?

Comment

Originally posted by twhite
      Sounds like you turned it to the "park" position...not "lock". My 850 has both and I bet your 550 does as well. The "park" position I believe locks the steering but also leaves the taillight on....the thought being that if you need to park it on the side of the road at night it is sorta like hazard lights on your car. :? :? :?
      turn the ignition switch the other direction

Comment

Re: tail light stays on

If its like the 77 750's it will only have one main fuse.

Earl

Originally posted by gs550
        when I turn my ignition key to the wheel lock position my tail light stays on, I had to find this out the hard way, and when I got back to my bike the battery was dead, also does my 77 gs550 have a fuse block, because I have not seen one
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: tail light stays on

Originally posted by earlfor
          If its like the 77 750's it will only have one main fuse.

Earl

Yep one main fuse, Karens 78 is the same. I know because I looked all over it for the fuse block. :roll: Bill

Comment

when I turn it all the way to the left it doesnt lock the wheel, it just shuts everything off, unless im missing something there is only 3 different positions on my ignition key, there is off, on, and "park", let me know because I would like to have the steering lock, but i dont like having my battery going dead

Comment

GS550, do you have the bars cranked all the way to one side or the other?

Comment

There has to be a wire lead on the ignition switch that is activated to turn on the tail light when the ignition is switched to the park position. If all else fails, you could disconnect that lead. It would only result in the "extra" tail light circuit being disabled.

Earl

when I turn it all the way to the left it doesnt lock the wheel, it just shuts everything off, unless im missing something there is only 3 different positions on my ignition key, there is off, on, and "park", let me know because I would like to have the steering lock, but i dont like having my battery going dead
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

yes the wheel is all the way to the left when I put it in "park", it will fall over if it isnt because there is no centerstand

Comment

On my 82 GS850 my steering lock is just between the off position and the park position (I believe). You may be turning you key just a tad to far or try turning the key past the park position.

Then again, you may have a seperate lock on the steering column. Look by the bottom of you steering column yoke just in front of your gas tank, you may have a lock there that locks your steering.

Comment

Working...
                    X