Bike Chain and Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Chain and Battery

my chain on my GS550ESG is a little loose. i dont want to spend a fortune buying a new one. does anyone know where i can get a new one. i've looked ay bikebandit and babbitonline. i was just hoping someone had a different place to look.

what kind of battery should i get??

you can go here, if you order more than 100bucks, no shipping
    http://www.imotorcyclestore.com/prod...S59PAROR3&pt=L

Comment

What size chain do you need? I just ordered a 530 series non O ring chain for my KZ550 that was about $30 from www.denniskirk.com I also ordered front and rear sprockets. The entire order was less than $90 delivered.

Comment

Try Chaparral. That's where I got my chain with free shipping.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by xbeakerx View Post
          my chain on my GS550ESG is a little loose. i dont want to spend a fortune buying a new one. does anyone know where i can get a new one. i've looked ay bikebandit and babbitonline. i was just hoping someone had a different place to look.

what kind of battery should i get??
          You say that your chain "is a little loose"....did you try to adjust the wheel to tighten it? If keeping cost to a minimum is an important part of running your bike then this is what you'll do until you learn about chain and sprocket wear and then decide when it's bad enough to warrant replacement of these parts....best done as a complete set.

I'll make a similar guess about the battery vs economics and say that you'll l get good service with a basic lead-acid battery from one of the recognized brands such as Yuasa, GS etc. Some of the best service I've gotten from motorcycle batteries has been from the basic products

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Try Chaparral. That's where I got my chain with free shipping.

what size is my chain. i dont know. its a 1986 GS550ES.

what about kits for my bike?? does anyone make them??
            Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2008, 11:24 AM.

Comment

what size is my chain. i dont know. its a 1986 GS550ES.

what about kits for my bike?? does anyone make them??
              Dude, you're better off to get a manual, and learn about your bike. And about chains. Getting a non-o-ring chain is false economy. It will last 1/4 as long as an o-ring or x-ring chain.

Comment

Hi Mr. xbeakerx,

This will help get you started learning all about motorcycles:

Motorcycle Repair Information, Do it Yourself Motorcycle Repair Course, .

Having a good working knowledge is important in the overall care and maintenance of your machine. Manuals are highly recommended.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i did buy a repair manual. unfortunately its a clumer(sp?) manual and is absolutely useless that i found.

so is there any chain kits for my bike??

Comment

Your Clymer manual is actually one of the recommended top three.

The best will always be the factory manual, there is a split decision between the Clymer and Haynes manuals.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. xbeakerx,

I think this x-ring chain will fit your bike:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

But I'm not sure if you need a 110 or 112 link chain. Z1 also should have sprockets for your bike. But shop around for the best price on the best stuff. I'm not aware of any "kits".

I love my shaft drive. ;-)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

my chain on my GS550ESG is a little loose. i dont want to spend a fortune buying a new one.
                        Tighter it up

Comment

Working...
                        X