No start After A Drop?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start After A Drop?????

I bought the bike with 33000km on it, and ive put on only 1000 km since, the other night, as I was driving into my apartment complex, I dumped it. I hit the kill switch before the bike even hit the ground. After I righted the bike, I tried to start it to get it into my parking stall across the lot, but it wou;nt start, and I had it in Nutral. I cycled throught about a half dozen times turning the key to the run position with the kill switch off, and it still wont start....I thought the interlock switch might be the cause (all city start stop traffic), cleaned and put it back together and still nothing. I don't even hear the starter motor engage. I've got the start button apart now, but am doubtful that would be the cause. Any suggestions?

I have had a fuse pop out of its holder after a drop.
    Just a thought.
    Check all your connections as well. They can sometimes be jarred apart.
    Cheers

Comment

Right now, in our nice thunderstorm in Calgary, I have, disassembled and reassembled the starter and interlock switch, cleaning both, unplugged the wires to everything i can reach, disconnected the battery, and its still not letting me crank it. Kinda frustrating when you don't have a second vehicle to back yourself up on. Thanks for the fuses though, that was one of the first things i checked.

Comment

nvm........

Comment

Originally posted by 83-750ESD View Post
          Right now, in our nice thunderstorm in Calgary, I have, disassembled and reassembled the starter and interlock switch, cleaning both, unplugged the wires to everything i can reach, disconnected the battery, and its still not letting me crank it. Kinda frustrating when you don't have a second vehicle to back yourself up on. Thanks for the fuses though, that was one of the first things i checked.
          What you're missing is a strategy for finding your problem......blindly tearing apart switches, the starter (!!) etc is just not the way to do this. Build or buy a simple incandescent bulb test light. Ground one end and verify that it's grounded by lighting it on the solenoid "battery" terminal. This is where you start.....next go to the control terminal and try to crank - does it light....yes you're already in the right area......if NO then back up to the next item which interrupts the cranking signal - use your schematic while you do this. This may be the clutch handle switch.....do you have power here with the handle pulled......if yes then fix the wire between here and the solenoid.....if NO then back up to the next item interrupting the signal....probably the crank pushbutton etc....power here? If NO then look for power from the kill switch.

Proceed logically.......If you think you've discovered a defective switch or connector and want to confirm this......bridge it to test.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Well, I have grabbed a voltmeter from work and I'm going to start tracing it from the battery, I got to have a good long look at the wiring diagram on the :shudders: bus to work, I've found a few extra problems with the front switches after I posted so I've already ordered a set of new ones from the local shop. I've been recording in a book everything that I have done so far, kinda interesting at how few wires actually run a bike.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. The problem was stupidly simple. After tracing everything and having power to every where I should except the Start Button, I disconnected the Clutch Interlock completely and spliced the wires....Running good now It worked when I had it off the bike, but not when I put it back on apparently.

Comment

Working...
              X