GS650E Sprocket Change???????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E Sprocket Change???????????????

Here is the deal. I am a long time liter sportbike guy. Gas and other economic issues sent me looking for a cheaper bike and I found a very nice 650E. I love the bike and am having more fun on it than I thought I could. My wife likes driving it around as well.
    Anyway on the interstate at 65 (with the GPS) my speedo reads 50 and I am turning 5500 RPM's. I don't know if this is where it should be or not. It has a 41 tooth sprocket on back and I forgot to look at the front. I am getting a new tire put on today and I was thinking of getting a smaller back sprocket right away. The bike is bone stock that I can tell.
    Thanks for the time
    Tom

That sounds about right to me. I have not had a chain-drive bike for quite a while, but that is about the same engine speed as my son's shaft-drive 650.

If you are looking for a little more economy, you might be able to drop a tooth or two from the rear sprocket, but you will lose a little of your "zip" in accelleration.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If that is the case I am going to drop several teeth off that thing. I am using it as transportation to work and back. 40 miles roundtrip all interstate. If anyone else has any input please let me know.
      Thanks

Comment

Simpler change is one tooth up on the front sprocket - similar to three teeth in back. In my experience this will slow the acceleration some but not enough to matter, will drop the freeway rpm by about 300 rpm at normal cruise speeds as well.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by rombi View Post
          Here is the deal. I am a long time liter sportbike guy. Gas and other economic issues sent me looking for a cheaper bike and I found a very nice 650E. I love the bike and am having more fun on it than I thought I could. My wife likes driving it around as well.
          Anyway on the interstate at 65 (with the GPS) my speedo reads 50 and I am turning 5500 RPM's. I don't know if this is where it should be or not. It has a 41 tooth sprocket on back and I forgot to look at the front. I am getting a new tire put on today and I was thinking of getting a smaller back sprocket right away. The bike is bone stock that I can tell.
          Thanks for the time
          Tom

Stock size for the 650e (at least the 82 model) is 45 Tooth rear, 15 tooth front. With my next sprocket change I'm dropping to a 42 in the rear and keeping with 15 up front. Time will tell if I'll miss any of the zip that I've currently been enjoying. Currently getting about 40 mpg average if I just drive normal. If my loss of zip is not that noticeable, I may stick with that to save on the gas overall in the future as well.

Amos

Comment

Just ordered a 38 rear, I will let you know if it makes a huge difference or not. My next question is..... Will a size 120 tire fit on the back of this bike? Stock is 110, just changed a worn 100 off of it. Skinny compared to the 180's

Comment

OK now that I am thinking about it, does anyone know is that a 530 chain or 630? I never had to cut links but looks like I am going to have to learn.

Comment

Just ordered a 38 rear, I will let you know if it makes a huge difference or not. My next question is..... Will a size 120 tire fit on the back of this bike? Stock is 110, just changed a worn 100 off of it. Skinny compared to the 180's
                A 120 might fit, but it won't necessarily be right. Bigger is not always better. In this case, it can be worse. Because of the rather narrow rims on our bikes, if you put a wider tire on, it will be squeezed into a tighter profile, actually giving you a smaller contact patch.

Sure, they're skinny compared to the 180s, but most of the bikes that are wearing 180s were designed for them. 8-[

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK now that I am thinking about it, does anyone know is that a 530 chain or 630? I never had to cut links but looks like I am going to have to learn.

Stock is 530.. I'm actually putting a 520 on mine when the sprocket comes in (long story.. but was cheaper to get 520 sprockets for a chain I had accidentally purchased before and had sitting around than getting a whole 530 setup and money is tight at the moment).

Amos

Comment

Update

I got the 38 toother on last night with the new tire and took it for a short ride. Just up to third gear as it started raining. Runs good, taller gears for sure, I will post the numbers when I can ride it to work. I hope the bike pulls it.
                    Is there any trick to getting the header back in the block. I did not have to remove the exhaust but I did have to loosen it to drop the muffler to get the axl out.

Comment

It is an interstate bike now. It runs about 700 RPM's lower in 5th going 65.

Comment

Working...
                      X