Fuel leak after cleaning carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leak after cleaning carbs

Well, good news is after I put it all back together, the bike started and ran, albeit not all that well.

Bad news is there seems to be quite a fuel leak from the carbs somewhere, there was a puddle right below them after running for 2-3 mins. Time to disassemble again i suppose, sigh.

I stripped one of the float bowl screws too when reassembling, so that could be where it's leaking from? I reused the old float bowl gaskets too, because the ones I ordered from Z1 turned out to be the wrong shape/size.

And here I was hoping to be riding on a nicely tuned bike by the end of the week. UGH!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2008, 11:41 AM.

Probably the stripped screw, or a stuck float or something. You can run pretty damn ratty float bowl gaskets (I think mine might be original and have several tears in them) without leaking.

Comment

Not unusual for freshly cleaned carbs to leak or weep a bit at first. Try the old tapping on the carbs trick with a soft hammer or soft block of wood to see if theres a stuck float.

You want to tap "firmly" but not so hard as to break the carbs.

Of course this only works if it is a stuck float or a piece of dirt on a needle. Best thing to do first is find out where the leak is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by NICK! View Post
        You want to tap "firmly" but not so hard as to break the carbs.
        Good advice if I've ever heard it!

Comment

Most carb leaks come from the fuel line o-rings in between the carbs. The other main source of leaks is a stuck float will allow the bowl to overfill and then leak gas through the airbox or vent line.

It doesn't take much to seal the bowls to the carb body. I've still got the original gaskets on all my bikes, and none of them leak.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Agreed. Another piece of GS lore to have engraved somewhere safe:

"If fuel is dripping from your carbs, IT AIN'T THE %$#@&! FLOAT BOWL GASKETS!!!!"
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Agreed. Another piece of GS lore to have engraved somewhere safe:

"If fuel is dripping from your carbs, IT AIN'T THE %$#@&! FLOAT BOWL GASKETS!!!!"
              Sometimes it is. As mentioned above, you can get away with pretty nasty ones, but not always. Sometimes, they are just too old and too hard not to leak. I put gas+oil seal-all on a torn corner once to keep it from leaking.
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

make sure you replaced all of the o-rings because the one that you miss will be the one that will leak. throw a new o-ring on the drain plug that you messed up the threads on, that will help it seal if you didn't.

Comment

Oh I didn't mess up the threads on the drain plug, I messed them up on one of the float chamber attachment points. It doesn't look to be leaking from there, possibly from where the fuel line goes into the carbs.

Any easy way to leak test the carbs off the bike? Thanks folks.

Comment

i dont even pull the drain plugs unless i have to...

i would rather pull the carbs and take the bowl off... what are you really gonna do other than drain the gas with that screw??? doesnt help troubleshooting at all, IMO

my float bowl gaskets are original i think too, they are old and nasty, but hold up just fine.

if its leaking that bad you may be able to spot it or feel it out when the bike is running.... dry it all off, start it up and spot your leak!

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                      Most carb leaks come from the fuel line o-rings in between the carbs. The other main source of leaks is a stuck float will allow the bowl to overfill and then leak gas through the airbox or vent line.

It doesn't take much to seal the bowls to the carb body. I've still got the original gaskets on all my bikes, and none of them leak.
                      Bingo! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a likely winner here!! Just takes a little twist of the carb rack to make one of them leak....
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

I had a carb leaking problem and it turned out to be the float needle being stuck, but not jammed completely up. The carb kept on filling with gas and draining out the nipple in the bottom every few seconds. It would flood out gas, then stop, then flood out more gas. if that sounds at all like your problem you might want to look at your floats. Good luck!

Comment

Fingers crossed for me. I'm so ****ed about losing my side cover I don't even want to ride for a few days so I'm going to put in my oring set, replace diaphragm, tear the carbs totally doen for the first time.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 79 GS750. I replaced all the gaskets and o-rings, put the carbs back on and now gas always drips from the little nipple on the #4 carb. I've replaced the floats and the needle from a spare carb I have and it still does the same thing. It will start dripping within a minute of starting the bike. I'm a little lost as to what else the problem could be

Comment

well, mine leaked a little too after my rebuild this spring. i was screwing around with needle height etc, and so taking them apart a couple times, finally my BRAND NEW gaskets seated. but they were definitely leaking around the gaskets. i think sometimes it just takes a few tries....if it is the fuel t or tubes, i wrapped mine with some teflon tape, they werent leaking before, but they are not leaking now either, and seated/sealed much tighter. if it is this, give it a try, just a couple neat wraps.
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
                              X