Why do people lose their minds on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
    The only things I buy off Ebay are things I can't get anywhere else,so I decide what it's worth to ME.Every part that goes on my 'S is NEW where possible,pretty much regardless of price.I work on the principle that buying second hand is buying trouble.C'mon,my bike is my only real vice.Cheers,Simon.:-D:-D\\/
    True, I mostly buy from ebay stores. I think the only parts I have bought from individual auctions there are a turn signal control unit and a cam cover gasket.

Comment

tbh i dont like waiting so if they dont have a reasonable buy it now option i dont bother.

Comment

I got a lot of my parts by bidding the minimum, but they were for spares...
        didn't matter if I won or not...

Comment

Indeed Lynn. It seems when im just looking for spares, and dont really care whether i win or not, is when i get things the cheapest. I lucked into a complete secondary bevel gear set NOS still in the Suzuki box for a GS1100G for 10 bucks. Had i needed it right then, bike sitting apart waiting for it, it would have cost me 100 or more...lol This past fall, I had the passing idea to buy as many sets of VM carbs as I could on ebay. There were dozens of racks of them, going on the cheap (around 70-100 bucksish generally) NOW, when i NEEDED a set, I couldnt get in on a auction for LESS than 100 bucks. Figures. Its also that time of year where ANYTHING motorcycle related is jacked up in price. Wait till late fall, when everyone is trying to unload that project bike or parts they had collected for the bike they ran out of money or interest in. They'll be dirt cheap again....

Comment

Check out auctionsnipe.com
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
              The only things I buy off Ebay are things I can't get anywhere else,so I decide what it's worth to ME.Every part that goes on my 'S is NEW where possible,pretty much regardless of price.I work on the principle that buying second hand is buying trouble.C'mon,my bike is my only real vice.Cheers,Simon.:-D:-D\\/
              Simon where do you buy your new parts from in OZ.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                I got that same cover you're talking about for 99 cents on ebay. The trick is to wait till the market is a bit flooded with whatever it is you're looking for (by flooded i mean more than two or three) then usually you will get one super cheap.
                Same here CAFE. I was after a set of 650 CV carbs and there were 3 or 4 sets went for around a 100 bucks and I got mine for $52. Just got to work out what you are prepared to pay and wait till something comes up that others don't see or aren't interested in.

Comment

Watching the prices of 'toot' sold on eb*y now I'm going to stick my damaged gearbox cogs, hardened carb rubbers and shot bearings and see what price I get.

I can't belive that people are paying over £20 for points covers that are the wrong part numbers for GS1000's that you can get from the dealers for £12.

Mad.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Suzuki Don,I get most now from The States.Even with $40/60 for freight,they're half the price charged here.Before I found this site,I was getting bits from Suziparts in Adelaide mostly.Very exy.I've found Alphasports and Z1 in America are good,you'll get your bits within 2 weeks and you'll save a sh*t load load.They've got lots of stuff that I couldn't get here and all new!!I gave up on Suzuki dealers after being shunned by 2 of them.My bike was to old!You need to find one with some interest because I think you can still get a fair bit of gear if the dealer can be bothered to chase it.Other than filters,chains etc I don't go there.Cheers,Simon.\\/
                    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I buy and sell on ebay all the time. I buy low, and sell high. Guaranteed profit. Somethings, however, I can only get on ebay. Somethings when I check at bikebandit are discontinued items, and are HOT commodities on ebay. For instance, case savers for my gs550e. I can not find them, so I went on ebay. Found some. Got to wait and see if I can get them or not. Common items, that are more easily found, may be a price flux, due to other people not knowing of bikebandit, or they don't have access to the parts any other way.

I dunno, I guess people get caught up in the frenzy of things. As BassCliff said, Shop Victoriously! If people want to spend twice what it costs for new parts...let em. You can set up ebay to when someone lists what you are looking for, they will send you an email notification that it is listed. That way you can tell how many items are being listed. You may be able to score a deal that way.

Buy it now options are nice, but not always the best price. I have seen them outrageously priced, so went back to auctions. Or, you find them cheap, but the shipping and handling is 4 times what it would cost.

If all else fails, post a note here, and hopefully someone here has what it is that you need.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X