Another Brake Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Brake Switch Question

I'm assuming that the front and rear (if there are indeed two) brake switches on a bike with front and rear discs act interdependently of each other. Which is to say that if one stops working (front, for example, at the lever) the other one would still activate the light when both front and rear brakes are applied. Is this true?

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
    I'm assuming that the front and rear (if there are indeed two) brake switches on a bike with front and rear discs act interdependently of each other. Which is to say that if one stops working (front, for example, at the lever) the other one would still activate the light when both front and rear brakes are applied. Is this true?
    Yes, either one will light the light, regardless of the other.

The clutch switch ( if you have one ) can be moved to the other side if you need a front brake light switch.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Indeed you are correct. *SOME* bikes i have learned have linked brake systems. Ours do not, but just thought id throw that in there cos i found it interesting. ANNNYWAY>> Indeed also, the brake light switch and the clutch lever lock out switch are interchangable. You can also, in the event that neither of those work, purchase a HYDROLIC switch from a few places (I got mine from Dennis Kirk i think, round 20 bucks) that uses the pressure from the brake fluid to activate the switch. This works great, have one on the cafe, and there are no contacts to clean, adjust or anything of the like.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Indeed you are correct. *SOME* bikes i have learned have linked brake systems. Ours do not, but just thought id throw that in there cos i found it interesting. ANNNYWAY>> Indeed also, the brake light switch and the clutch lever lock out switch are interchangable. You can also, in the event that neither of those work, purchase a HYDROLIC switch from a few places (I got mine from Dennis Kirk i think, round 20 bucks) that uses the pressure from the brake fluid to activate the switch. This works great, have one on the cafe, and there are no contacts to clean, adjust or anything of the like.
        ya.. when my switch fails i'm going to look into that too. i really like the idea.

Comment

I saw a number o f hydraulic switches on ebay. All fit in place of the banjo bolt at the master cylinder. I just noticed over the weekend that my brake light isn't comingon, but the running (tail) light works. Then again, maybe one of the filaments in the bulb is burned out.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
            Yes, sir, as the others have said, quite true. The front switch is on the bottom side of the lever housing, the rear switch is on the frame, just in side your right foot, and is usually attached to the brake pedal by a long-ish wire with a spring in the middle of it.

Each switch also has its own adjustment to control when it turns on the brake light. There are two Philips-head screws holding the front brake switch in place. Loosen them about 1/2 a turn and you can slide the housing toward either end. I forget which way makes the brake come on sooner, but it's easy enough to watch the brake light while you do this. The rear brake is threaded into a bracket on the frame. It can be adjusted by loosening the locknut and rotating the switch body to the desired set-point.

If neither of these actually turns on the brake light, your other suspicion just might be correct, it might just be a bulb. 8-[

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              . *SOME* bikes i have learned have linked brake systems.
              Yes, some bikes do. However, even they have separate switches for the hand and brake levers, no matter what brake pistons are actually activated by that device.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you go the hydraulic switch. It can be mounted at the T connector under the triple trees. decide which before you order one to get the proper length

Comment

Thanks all u groovy guys and gals. Your input is appreciated. Guess its another night in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Yes, some bikes do. However, even they have separate switches for the hand and brake levers, no matter what brake pistons are actually activated by that device.

And if I ever bought a Gold Wing, I would separate the brake systems. I can't imagine why anyone would want linked brakes on a motorcycle.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

The front brake light switch on my '82 GS1100GK needs to be replaced. I was about to order one when I came across the reference here to the pressure acitvated switch that can be mounted at the T-fitting on the brake line. Sounds like an improvement over the original switch. Can anyone provide a link to product info, installation instructions, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                      X