New clutch mild manored 1150/1230?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New clutch mild manored 1150/1230?

Do I want to do stock parts or aftermarket?

Can anyone suggest a good source for aftermarket parts?

Old Junque yard 1150 and the OLD rider are both pretty mild manored.

I would appreciate any good suggestions.

I would also like to drop a tooth from the rear sprocket.

Thanks,
    Fastrip

I just did mine and got the plates and fibers from FBG.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Send the clutch hub to APE and get a new gear and springs welded on. Also get the APE clutch hub nut and a new lock washer.
      Go with stock or FBG fibers and spec the steels.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What Chef is referring to above is for you to have APE take your hub & make it a "modified" hub. I highly recommend this but just so you know they do NOT change the gear! They will install new springs, a thicker backing plate, & new rivets. They weld the rivets & re-balance the hub. The only time you would change the gear would be if you were going to a straight cut gear set & then you would have to change the clutch hub drive gear on the crank also. The other thing you should do that no one mentioned yet is to install GS750 oil pump gears. they will speed up your stock oil pump & increase the volume of oil going through the motor. To me this one is MANDATORY! I build & race these & am available to help anytime! Good luck, Ray.

Comment

I will repair replace what I have with probably new plates both steel and fiber and springs.

While I have things apart I'll look the basket over to see that its worthy of ''modified'' status. I will get this done but might well wait until after this riding season.

Does anyone like the extra plate kit that APE offers?

In short, I am probably going to return the engine that's in my 86 at present to it's powder coated but very much unfinished original home. I have another 84 complete bike (that was beaten to near death) from which I would like to BUILD a bike. I would guess 1230 or 77mm so I don't have to do the case boring and sleeve replacement. I have a set of Web 168 grind cams plus springs, titanium keepers, hard faced rockers and Maybe even a top end oiling kit, we'll see. I have an extra tranny gear set so I will probably have that undercut, a Good modified basket and maybe even the lock up clutch addition. I would like to use Flat 38s and I have several pipes, Hindel, Kerker and Vance and Hines. I have a set of GSXR wheels and will need then a swing arm, probably at least 4'' over.

That's just some of the fun for the next off season.

I still have a few seeps I need to address. I hear if the ''O'' ring for the starter leaks that the oil may well drip off like excess chain oil might. I have an ''O'' ring on the way as well as a couple clutch cover gaskets and lock tab washer and stuff like that.

I'm probably going to start another thread about engine oil preferance. I have worked on race cars most of my life, I have grown to really like full synthetic lubricants. Does anyone have any real preferance for oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Fastrip View Post
            I'm probably going to start another thread about engine oil preferance. I have worked on race cars most of my life, I have grown to really like full synthetic lubricants. Does anyone have any real preferance for oil?
            Nah, people here pretty much just put in whatevers cheap.

j/k I'm sure someone will point you to one of the many threads on oil, everyone has a favorite flavor.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              What Chef is referring to above is for you to have APE take your hub & make it a "modified" hub. I highly recommend this but just so you know they do NOT change the gear! They will install new springs, a thicker backing plate, & new rivets. They weld the rivets & re-balance the hub. The only time you would change the gear would be if you were going to a straight cut gear set & then you would have to change the clutch hub drive gear on the crank also. The other thing you should do that no one mentioned yet is to install GS750 oil pump gears. they will speed up your stock oil pump & increase the volume of oil going through the motor. To me this one is MANDATORY! I build & race these & am available to help anytime! Good luck, Ray.
              Thanks for setting the record straight Ray!
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The other thing you should do that no one mentioned yet is to install GS750 oil pump gears. they will speed up your stock oil pump & increase the volume of oil going through the motor. To me this one is MANDATORY! I build & race these & am available to help anytime! Good luck, Ray.
                RAY would it be overkill to do the oil pump gear change on a '77 550 which will have a 650 head and pistons on it. Do you have to change both the clutch gear and the oil pump gear as a set together. I notice that the number of teeth on the clutch gear on the 750 and 550 are the same (both 38T). Would they have a different diameter. The oil pump gear on the 550 has 35 teeth while the 750 has 29 teeth.
                Thanks Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  RAY would it be overkill to do the oil pump gear change on a '77 550 which will have a 650 head and pistons on it. Do you have to change both the clutch gear and the oil pump gear as a set together. I notice that the number of teeth on the clutch gear on the 750 and 550 are the same (both 38T). Would they have a different diameter. The oil pump gear on the 550 has 35 teeth while the 750 has 29 teeth.
                  Thanks Ray.
                  Don, your case is one I can't answer as I don't know what parts are interchangable with that one. I know the 16 valve 1100 & 1150s benefit HUGELY from speeding up the pump but I can't answer your question in regard to the 550. Sorry, Ray.

Comment

Does anyone like the extra plate kit that APE offers?

I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST the "extra" plate kits as the get that extra plate by making all the other fiber plates THINNER! These thin plates in turn GOUGE the clutch hub! NOT a good thing. I would use the Fast By Gast fibers with the stock Suzuki dimpled steels. That's all I use in my motors & the motors I build for customers & have NO issues with them. Ray.

Comment

Don, your case is one I can't answer as I don't know what parts are interchangable with that one. I know the 16 valve 1100 & 1150s benefit HUGELY from speeding up the pump but I can't answer your question in regard to the 550. Sorry, Ray.
                      Thanks anyway Ray. Because the 750 oil gear is 29 teeth and the 550 gear is 35 teeth that means the pump will spin faster right. Is it possible to over oil the motor and cause pressure build up anywhere.

Comment

Thanks Ray,
                        I am sorry I didn't get back sooner but I had to deal with some issues at work that has tied me up for the last few days. I work in Fond du Lac Wisconsin, Fond du Lac got some 5.5'' of rain yesterday.
                        I'll probably do the clutch as you recommend. I should get that ordered tonight yet if I still can.

Thanks
                        Fastrip

Comment

Working...
                        X