Oil lock piece won't come out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil lock piece won't come out

I've disassembled my forks to replace a leaking fork seal, since I couldn't cheat and blow it out with air (140 psi and it still didn't budge). Well everything came out as the clymer book said it would except for the damn oil lock piece. I've tried beating the fork tube with a rubber mallet but the thing doesn't budge. I would try to punch it out with a drift but there's no where to set the drift.

This really sux! what was a real easy job, the last time I did it, (cheated with air) has turned into a long and more costly (need new teflon-coated bushings) job.

It's just sticking via surface tension or possibly a bit of sludge. Stick something long in there and dislodge it, and it'll drop out. Maybe a broom handle or dowel, so you don't dent anything.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      I've disassembled my forks to replace a leaking fork seal, since I couldn't cheat and blow it out with air (140 psi and it still didn't budge). Well everything came out as the clymer book said it would except for the damn oil lock piece. I've tried beating the fork tube with a rubber mallet but the thing doesn't budge. I would try to punch it out with a drift but there's no where to set the drift.

This really sux! what was a real easy job, the last time I did it, (cheated with air) has turned into a long and more costly (need new teflon-coated bushings) job.
      Are you talking about the snap ring above the seal?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

On the parts diagrams, the "oil lock piece" is the sorta cone-shaped aluminum bit that the damper rod sits in at the bottom of the fork tube.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          On the parts diagrams, the "oil lock piece" is the sorta cone-shaped aluminum bit that the damper rod sits in at the bottom of the fork tube.
          #17 ? Mine just fell off in the bottom of the fork tube. I had to reassemble 17,18,& the two 19s with sticky grease to keep it from falling in the fork tube during reassembly.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

you did take the clip out right?

Comment

if it's #17 we're talking about, well, no need to take it out really
              GS850GT

Comment

Did you try flushing it out with varsol or kerosene? Since you have the forks apart anyway, you might as well give them a good cleaning before reassembling everything.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X