Charging - How many volts is good enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging - How many volts is good enough

First, I'd like to say that I have really appreciated having the stator papers to refer to, and some other advice that has been offered. I am not getting the readings that I think I should, but maybe they are 'good enough'. (?)

This is on a 79 GS1000. Original reg & rect. Original wiring.

After having installed a new battery, a new Electrosport stator and having cleaned most connections, here is what I am getting:
    1. Stator resistance between legs - 0.8 ohms on each ---> okay
    2. Resistance legs to ground - 1.000 (off scale) ----> okay
    3. AC volts at 4000 rpm - 43 - 45v ----hmmm, not near the recommended 60
    4. DC volts at battery at 2500 rpm - 13.45V ----> is that okay? seems low, nowhere near 14.2V, even at 4000 rpm
    5. rectifier red wire to +ve battery terminal at idle - 17 mV ---> ??is that ok?
    6. At idle, neg. output on rect to -ve pole on battery - changing mV (but less than 0.2V)
    Then I ran out of time to continue the tests as in the Stator Papers part IV.

The ground bolt through the rectifier looks clean and has good continuity with negative battery terminal. I will put a wire from this bolt straight to the -ve terminal next, and will clean the ground bolts for the regulator and rectifier. On this bike, both reg and rect are on the left side under the cover. I have not checked out the fuses or cleaned the fuse holders yet.

I am hoping it is just a connection problem somewhere - grounding or between wire connectors.

Any comments? Do these readings look okay?
    Thanks...all I want to do is put the seat back on and go for a spin!!!

Those numbers are good. I bet your battery's volts are under 13 volts not running.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Since battery voltage is 12.6, anything over that will charge it, the only difference is how quickly and how well.

13.45 is respectable. 14.0 would be better. I'll guess that if you clean up a couple of connections and run that ground wire, it'll come right up.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the responses, Chef and Steve. You have reduced my anxiety!
        I had charged the battery last night, and voltage went up to 13.8v. It started dropping as I took the charger off. Left it for 18 hours and the voltage is down to 12.72 and holding there. So you are right, the voltage of the battery is under 13 when the bike is not running.

I will clean up whatever other connections I can find and report back.

Cheers, GW

Comment

Depends on the r/r, but it could keep it at 13.?V. My new Ricks keeps it at 13.5V or so and floats around there. It will keep the battery charged and restarts my bike so I am happy.
          If you get 13.45V continually with the highbeam and the brake applied(to light the brake light) you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
            Depends on the r/r, but it could keep it at 13.?V. My new Ricks keeps it at 13.5V or so and floats around there. It will keep the battery charged and restarts my bike so I am happy.
            If you get 13.45V continually with the highbeam and the brake applied(to light the brake light) you should be good.
            Yes to all of this.

Mine averages the same, and will go up to 13.8 at 5000 RPM, but does not reach 14. After several years of it doing this, and always starting when needed, I figure it may be all right .
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I put the ground wire from the rectifier directly to the negative battery terminal, and ....voila....the voltage (at less than 4000 rpm) was 14.29. Wow, you guys know your stuff. It is incredible that the ground wire could make that much difference.

Getting very close to having this puppy all put back together. Just chaincase cover and starter cover to put on. I have attached a photo to give a visual update.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                Yes to all of this.

Mine averages the same, and will go up to 13.8 at 5000 RPM, but does not reach 14. After several years of it doing this, and always starting when needed, I figure it may be all right .
                Same here, my brand new electrosport stator is only putting out 45v AC and my battery only charges at about 13.5 or 13.8 at 5000 RPM. On some level I have decided (I believe it's referred to as a "rationalization") that this is "better" as the RR unit isn't having to slough off as much extra voltage, but I have plenty to keep the battery charged.

Comment

Charging

Heres My Story. I Have A 82gs1100glz I Have Had Battery Issues For The Last Couple Of Months, Had To Jump Start All The Time But The Bike Would Run Ok. Thursday Night I Had To Push Start The Monster So I Had Had Enough And Cheked Voltage At Battery With Volt Ohmeter And It Was At 11.5 Volts At Idle, Not Enough So I Revved Engine To 5000 Rpm Per Manual And Voltage Only Went To 12.5 That Was Enough To Show That Stator Was Charging So I Had A Used Volt Regulator And I Put It On, Amazing Change Voltage Started Climbing Steadily 12.5, 13.5, Up To 15.5 As Per Specs In Manual. Wow Has This Ever Made A Difference In Performance And Fuel Economy I Was Getting About 90 Miles Per Tank Of Fuel. Now I Filled Up On Friday And Have Gone Over 50 Miles And The Gauge Show 3/4. Any Way To Answer Your Initial Question The Service Manual Says That At 5,000 Rpm Your Voltage Should Be 15.5

Comment

Working...
                  X