Changing gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing gears?

So, how hard would it be to replace a gear on an '81 GS550?

I think second is shot. =(

If I'm giving the bike more than, oh, maybe 1/8th throttle, and I'm in second, it pops and jerks and clunks around, like it's popping in and out of gear or something. It's a hard sound/experience to describe. But yeah, I think that second gear's going south.

Shadetree job, or should I take her to a shop?

I have replaced a secondary bevel gear in a 650 shaft. Was it easy, not really. It can be done DIY but it is a pretty major undertaking. As far as taking to shop, forget it. It would cost more than bike is worth and I would be very hesitant to let someone get that far into a bike and put it back correctly.

In order to replace gear one obviously needs replacement parts, not too hard to find. Then it is a matter of pulling engine from frame, covers, clutch, starter, etc. After that it is split cases and inspect damage. This is where you will probably get discouraged when you discover how bad gears really are worn. Replace gears, clean parts to reassemble, reassemble and hope you don't lose or break parts during reassembly.

Not to discourage you, but 550 motors are cheap and plentiful. Usually they can be found for under $100 bucks. I would check around and try to find a low mileage replacement and do a quick and dirty swap. Then if you want to look at the damaged gearset, go for it. Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Dang. =/

This is where my mechanical prowess shows its weakness where bikes are concerned. I was thinking it'd be along the lines of a car... I didn't realize that the transmission and the engine were so intimately connected in a bike.

Comment

Replace the whole thing, then once you know it's good take yours apart and sell the bits you don't want on Ebay.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X