Blinkers not flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinkers not flashing

I replaced my blinkers with short stalks (neither stock or this work) and my blinkers don't flash on one side and the other side is very random. I noticed the connection to the harness had 3 inputs so I bought a universal flasher with 3 prongs and it didn't work. The one that was on there was a 2 prong relay but it was on sideways so I figured it wasn't factory. Can anyone tell me if a generic 2 prong relay from advanced auto parts will work? My repair manual says nothing about the relay.

A generic two prong automotive 12V relay should work fine. I had to use a generic 2 prong automotive 6V flasher relay to replace the stock 2 prong on my '72 Honda and it worked great.

Comment

Couple of things to note here:

Replacement short stalks. Are they incandescent or LED lights? Incandescent might work with the stock flasher if they draw enough current to trip the thermal flasher. LED signals will definitely require a different flasher. Many are going for the electronic one that does not depend on the load to determine the flash rate.

Replacement flasher. Without some modification, a 2-prong flasher will work, but you have to connect it to the correct 2 terminals for it to work. The center terminal on the flasher is a light blue wire. This is the one that will not work with after-market flashers, so you will have to make a couple of small extensions to go from the outer terminals of the stock plug to the two prongs on the new flasher.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

regular bulbs

Comment

Originally posted by cyberdork View Post
          regular bulbs
          What number? They need to be #1034 or 1156 to work properly.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had the same problem on my bike. Went through alot of universal relays. I found a two prong on jpcycles that worked. It flashes alot slower than factory but it works.

Comment

cheap 2.50 relay worked from advanced. thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
              X