GS650GL '81 clutch slips @ high load/high RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GL '81 clutch slips @ high load/high RPMs

Sometimes when rolling into the throttle in different gears (2, 3, 4, or 5), and above 5000rpm, the clutch seems to slip (when at near-full-throttle). The rpms rev up very rapidly, faster than I am accellerating. At this point, I roll back off the throttle a bit.

Is it a safe bet to install new clutch springs?

I have owned this bike for 5 or 6 years.
    I am unaware of any previous work being done on the clutch.
    The oil has been changed very recently (Pennzoil 10W40).

Oh, yeah... the clutch lever has plenty of free play, I do not believe that it is dragging. What I have noticed is that if I reach down, I can rotate the clutch release lever on top of the gear case (clockwise when viewing from top) a few degrees.

Shouldn't the springs rotate this arm to full-retract (clutch fully engaged) position when the hand lever is released?

All these old bikes need new springs, they've been compressed thirty years, don't spring back as much as they were designed to. Springs will probably fix it.
    You may need some plates too, but usually not, it's easy enough to go back in with new plates later if you need to.
    Your shop manual will have all the specs to measure everything.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If the mechanism is like my 850, the springs do release the clutch to fully retracted, but the release mechanism has more travel than the clutch itself. So, so free play at either lever is normal.

Even in the unlikely even that tkent02 is wrong, new OEM springs are cheap. Order a set with a gasket and see where it gets you. For me, I also had to sand all the plates with 220 to get 28 years of shiny glaze off.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks.
        Springs it will be.
        And a new cover gasket (too bad, I just installed a new gasket on the clutch cover because the old one was leaking).

BP

Comment

Originally posted by BP_redbear View Post
          Sometimes when rolling into the throttle in different gears (2, 3, 4, or 5), and above 5000rpm, the clutch seems to slip (when at near-full-throttle). The rpms rev up very rapidly, faster than I am accellerating. At this point, I roll back off the throttle a bit.

Mine did that and I ended up smokin off one of the fiber plates and scuffing a metal plate.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I pulled my 30 year old springs and they were within specs, both height and pressure, but they are cheap so I replaced them anyway. I used a barnett clutch in mine and it performs very well. I would not go with tougher springs, just stay away from oil marked "energy conserving" as they seem to ruin the fibers.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My 650 was slipping pretty badly when I got it with 26000 miles on it. I replaced the springs and this fixed it for about another 20000 miles, when it started slipping when cold. I replaced the friction plates and now it runs perfectly, hot or cold. I could tell the clutch had never been worked on before I got it because the gasket was a total nightmare to remove in tiny pieces. When I went in there the second time, the new gasket I installed at 30000 or so just lifted out beautifully in one piece and now I'm reusing it.

Comment

Same with my old gasket. Unfortunately, I used spray Permatex gasket sealer on both sides of the new one...

I am definitely going to install new springs.

Just in case, what is a ballpark figure for a set of new plates?

TY.
                BP

Comment

If you have free play at the lever on the the case, the springs are a good first bet. Too many many revs of slip on those plates and it will get even more pricey.

Comment

Barnett kevlar clutch ran me 115 dollars, OEM is about 6 dollars a fiber, 2.00 a spring, figure 65 dollars that route but your dealer price may vary. The kevlar is supposed to be better, I have a few grand on it and no problems so far.

I bought 1/32 inch thick gasket paper and cut my own gasket, took 10 minutes. I even cut one for another GSer, used a scissor to cut it out and a paper hole punch to make the holes.

6 dollars for a roll of gasket paper and you can do 3 gaskets easy.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If plate replacement proves necessary, is it necessary to replace ALL plates, drive and driven?

I have a genuine Suzuki shop manual (and a Clymer book), plus micrometers, dial indicator gauges, dial calipers. I will certainly check the plates for spec and glazing while I am in there changing out the springs.

When the release lever on top of the cover is not all the way retracted, I can feel a vibration in it with my finger, and when I manually move it all the way retracted (CW) the vibe stops (with free play in the handlever still).

This is why I questioned that if the springs were supposed to move this lever all the way out normally. We'll start with new springs...

Comment

Thanks.
                        Springs it will be.
                        And a new cover gasket (too bad, I just installed a new gasket on the clutch cover because the old one was leaking).

BP
                        If it was recent enough, you may be able to keep the previous gasket. Keep the new as a spare, I guess. When you put it back together, make sure to smear grease on the both sides of the gasket so it won't stick in the distant future.

I don't know what the deal is on mine, but I've been into it a couple times this year on the same gasket with no leaks. This is the gasket that was on the bike when I got it 3 years ago after sitting in a garage for 14 years. Maybe I got lucky. But I still have a new spare ready.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If plate replacement proves necessary, is it necessary to replace ALL plates, drive and driven?
                          Not sure which are the 'drive' and which are the 'driven', but all you would need would be the fiber plates. (I believe they are the 'drive' plates.)

While you have the cover off (whether doing just the springs or if you get into plate replacement), clean up the metal plates by scuffing them up with some 220 sandpaper.
                          That will assure good contact with clean metal.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the same issue with my 650G. I even used the same oil that you have but when I took it in for a valve adjustment I had them change the oil again with a MS grade oil instead of automotive. I believe the Pennzoil was "energy conserving" and it started slipping after I changed it. It is better with the new oil but it will slip if I am giving it a little "love" and it bounces over a bump in the road...then it will slip.
                            I have some new springs, fibers and a gasket sitting on the bench...just looking for the time.

By the way....I freaking love my GS!!!!

Sappy huh?

Comment

Pay attention and write this down, which way your steels come out of the clutch basket; there is a flat cut side and a rounded side!

Comment

Working...
                              X